wood furnace capacity

/ wood furnace capacity #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I don't recall how to do this but I need to know the volume of a hexagonal shaped firebox that measures 18"w x18"h x22"d. Thanks

/ wood furnace capacity
Calculate the Area of a Hexagon - wikiHow

Give a man a fish...

Anyway I think you need to find the length of a side. I don't think a "regular" hexagon will have equal height and width. I can't remember now though.

Thanks Mike but this is area. I need volume. Now, I looked at what you linked to me and could not make heads or tails of it. In this case, I'd be happy with just the fish.

/ wood furnace capacity #4  
If you find the area, just multiply by the length. If I have time later I will look into it further... for now I am going to bed (I work 3rd shift) and would be more comfortable doing this at my computer vs. On my phone. It's funny what we forget isn't it? I used to be very good with numbers and I'm really not that far out of high school relative to most people here. Someone will hopefully chime in before that though.

/ wood furnace capacity
If you find the area, just multiply by the length. If I have time later I will look into it further... for now I am going to bed (I work 3rd shift) and would be more comfortable doing this at my computer vs. On my phone. It's funny what we forget isn't it? I used to be very good with numbers and I'm really not that far out of high school relative to most people here. Someone will hopefully chime in before that though.

Sweet dreams Mike. I'm not sure if I ever knew how to do this or if it was during one of my present but absent days in class. The sides must be uneven if the thing is the same height as its width with the top and bottom sides less than the slants. There are 6 triangles here and all I know is what one side is ( 9") for only 4 of them (or eight of them if I make the top and bottom right triangles) and that's just figuring on the fact that the height and width of the entire hexagonal. I even called the company of the furnace and the rep didn't know the size of the firebox. All she told me were the height, width and length of the volume along with "it looks like a stretched stop sign".

/ wood furnace capacity #7  
Deleted. I figured for an octagon:confused2:

/ wood furnace capacity #8  
I think it really is impossible to figure without some more dimensions.

Cause given the nature of a hexagon, odds are they measured the height from the flats, and the horizontal width from the points. Therefore it isnt a regular hexagon with equal sides, and thus cannot be figured without either the angles, or lengths of the sides.

Here is a picture showing two hexagons that are the same width and height. But the red one clearly has less area/volume

hex.png

/ wood furnace capacity
Are you talking about a 3D figure like a hexagonal prism? If so, you have the answer already. The area of the hexagon x the length of the prism equals the volume.

Hexagonal prism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A more mathematical explanation:

Hexagonal Prism -- from Wolfram MathWorld

I don't have any answer and the explanations are beyond me. First i do not have the area of the hexagon. I can't even extrapolate it as I have only one dimension of a triangle side. If I knew how to figure the unknown side then it'd be easier. Even if I separate the hex into a box and two triangles I'm still in the dark as I have no angles. The hex is 18" wide and 18" high with unequal sides. Right now with my knowledge base, the thing is unfigurable to me.

/ wood furnace capacity #10  
I don't have any answer and the explanations are beyond me. First i do not have the area of the hexagon. I can't even extrapolate it as I have only one dimension of a triangle side. If I knew how to figure the unknown side then it'd be easier. Even if I separate the hex into a box and two triangles I'm still in the dark as I have no angles. The hex is 18" wide and 18" high. Right now with my knowledge base, the thing is unfigurable to me.

Right know the thing is unfigurable to anyone. You need more dimensions. You cannot find the area of a rectangle by only knowing what the long side is right??

See my earlier diagram. It can be anything. The only thing we can figure for certain is that it is LESS than 18x18x22...... 7128 cu in, or less than 4.125 cu ft.

But how much less can only be determined by getting more dimensions.

What is the brand/model of this furnace BTW??