Wood fence posts

/ Wood fence posts #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I found a guy with some black locust posts. I am installing 1" flex fence, also called pony fence. The manufacturer calls for 6"-7" round end and brace posts. I know I need a round post on the corners where the fence wraps around but the ends and braces can be square. So my question is will a dressed 6x6 square post adequate? I have never set fence before so I am looking for some advice from more experienced people than I. I think it should be fine but what do you experienced people think?

Thanks,
Eric

/ Wood fence posts #2  
You will get more than adequate strength with 6x6 square posts, especially black locust.

Sometimes these fence companies are going as much for looks as they are for utility.

Tamped dirt around the posts will be good.

/ Wood fence posts #3  
I agree but the only thing I would add is they make a cement product that you pour in the fence post holes prior to setting the post and then once set along the sides of the post but you do not have to add water at installation...it absorbs the water from the soil over time...this would give added life to your fence keeping it out of direct contact with the soil. Home Depot and Lowes both have it.

/ Wood fence posts #4  
If you have clay soil, then you don't really need to add concrete to the posts. If you have sand or a loamy soil, then concrete should be used. Either way, the important thing to remember is that almost all rot occurs at the area where the post comes out of the ground. At this area, water settles and the moisture remains. Every post that I have ever repaired, and I've done quite a few, have rotted at this location. What is below grade is usually in perfect condition. If there is damage, it's minimal.

When setting your post, it is very important to build up a slope around the post to get water to flow away from it. It doesn't matter if it's dirt or concrete, just as long as it flows away. What I think happens, is people do this to some degree, but over time, the dirt settles and end ups creating a shallow area that holds water. With concrete, I see that concrete is well below grade, and this is even worse, as it holds water right next to the post.

Eddie

Attachments

• Fence Post rotted out at the base..jpg
    Fence Post rotted out at the base..jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 428
  • Fence Post with cement crowned..jpg
    Fence Post with cement crowned..jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 725
   / Wood fence posts #6  
When I set all my fence posts i used gravel around them to help with the drainage. My dogs have challenged the fence every day....and i have even had a rotted tree land on a post and they hold there spot. I just used a tamper to make sure it was in there tight.

/ Wood fence posts
Thanks for the replies. I will contact my source and get the black locust posts.

/ Wood fence posts #8  
When I set all my fence posts i used gravel around them to help with the drainage. My dogs have challenged the fence every day....and i have even had a rotted tree land on a post and they hold there spot. I just used a tamper to make sure it was in there tight.

I know of several people that do this and like this method very well. In Ohio the gravel that they use is called "Chips And Dust". In Kentucky this same gravel is called "Crush And Run". It's the same gravel we use on our driveways. I have always used concrete on treated poles. I have treated poles set in concrete that have been in the ground over twenty years and have not rotted. I guess I'm the odd one here.

/ Wood fence posts #9  
I know of several people that do this and like this method very well. In Ohio the gravel that they use is called "Chips And Dust". In Kentucky this same gravel is called "Crush And Run". It's the same gravel we use on our driveways. I have always used concrete on treated poles. I have treated poles set in concrete that have been in the ground over twenty years and have not rotted. I guess I'm the odd one here.
I'v also heard it called crusher run.
Wonder which is the rite term:confused:

/ Wood fence posts #10  
I use slag.A ton of slag will cover more Sq' than gravel .
Cost less per ton and works better too.