Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question:

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Question: Is split Ash wood very splintery, fibrous and sticky? We had a big ice storm her a couple years ago, and we had a lot of damaged trees, which I had cut down and into firewood. In our 50 years in this house, I have burned a lot of different wood, and never experienced this before. In handling some of the seasoned wood barehanded, I noticed I had these small splinter wounds on my hands, that get very sore. It didn't take much; just picking up a piece to go into the fireplace was enough. The only thing different, was split wood from two mature Ash trees, and I think this was the culprit. Any thoughts?

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #2  
Question: Is split Ash wood very splintery, fibrous and sticky? We had a big ice storm her a couple years ago, and we had a lot of damaged trees, which I had cut down and into firewood. In our 50 years in this house, I have burned a lot of different wood, and never experienced this before. In handling some of the seasoned wood barehanded, I noticed I had these small splinter wounds on my hands, that get very sore. It didn't take much; just picking up a piece to go into the fireplace was enough. The only thing different, was split wood from two mature Ash trees, and I think this was the culprit. Any thought

I don't know about ash but Black Locust will do that.

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #3  
I operate a woodlot.
yes different woods have different toxicities and alergic reactions.
Ash is a moderate irritant wood with moderate toxicity for both hands, lungs and eyes.
My OHS manual maybe a bit dated but requires masks to protect lungs and goggles for eyes when sawing ash. Gloves for hands are recomended.

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #4  
Could it be that in the back side winter your hands are just a little softer?

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #6  
My hands/skin do not get irritated by handling split ash firewood. Thank goodness, because often is up to half of our firewood. It DOES often have a lot of splinters on the split surface, but usually not small ones. I do get big splinters occasionally, but they don't go deep - have learned not to ever slide my hand up or down the grain.

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #7  
I burn a variety of woods. I got tired of splinters, don't know which species. Now I wear gloves anytime I handle my firewood. I have an inside wood fired boiler and radiant floors. So six cords a year is not unusual.

Doug in SW IA

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question: #9  
and thinner as we age. :(
I know, nobody ever told me that your skin slowly gives out also. 😆 what used to be a little scratch.... he!! half the time I walk around looking like I'm bleeding out and don't even know if.

/ Wood cutters, wood burners and woodworkers...Question:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Gloves it is!