wood chuck under house

/ wood chuck under house #1  

Ed of all trades

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere X310, JD LA 145
We have a groundhog under my mother-in-laws house. Difficult to shoot since we don't live there, and she has close neighbors. Concerned about trapping because of the many neighborhood cats. We've tried blocking the holes with concrete, but they just dug around it. We can't use the gas bombs because the tunnels go into the crawl space. I hope someone has ideas, because we don't.:confused3:

/ wood chuck under house #2  
use a leg snare at the den entrance if you get a cat or dog throw a coat over it and release no problem

/ wood chuck under house #3  
Hav a Heart trap. Use some veggies. I caught them all from under my parents house this way. It takes a few days and you need to either drive them far away once caught ,or dispatch of them.

/ wood chuck under house #4  
1) Find out the next time your MIL is out of the house for the day.
2) Get a long section of flexible hose that will fit over your exhaust pipe.
3) Go to your MIL house, slip one end of hose over exhaust pipe & run the other down the 'chuck hole.
4) Fill in hole around hose.
5) Idle your vehicle and read a book.
Not even sure this would work, but it sounds like it might & it's cheap, like me.

/ wood chuck under house #5  
What about rat poison mixed in a tuna fish can?

/ wood chuck under house #7  
1) Find out the next time your MIL is out of the house for the day.
2) Get a long section of flexible hose that will fit over your exhaust pipe.
3) Go to your MIL house, slip one end of hose over exhaust pipe & run the other down the 'chuck hole.
4) Fill in hole around hose.
5) Idle your vehicle and read a book.
Not even sure this would work, but it sounds like it might & it's cheap, like me.

What about rat poison mixed in a tuna fish can?
If you are sure he is in the hole, how about a bottle of bleach down the hole and covered with a rock?
Please include directon regarding retreiving the rotting, maggot ridden corpse from under the house to diminish the overwhelming odor.

The Havahart trap is your best bet, although it should be checked daily.

/ wood chuck under house #8  
Get your boom box and play the most obnoxious hard rock music right next to the hole for a day or two. Haven't had any return to my pole shed yet.

/ wood chuck under house
Thanks guys, I tried a havahart trap for about a week earlier with no luck. Any ideas on what to use for bait?
I like the idea of playing hard rock music, but I am afraid my MIL would move out too.

/ wood chuck under house #10  
My place is infested with them, so, unfortunately, I'm getting lots of unwanted experience in this situation.

First, get a good wire cage trap. I got mine from Tractor Supply. It needs to be SOLID because ground hogs are very strong and will bend a cheap trap.

Next, figure out where he lives. If he hangs out in the hole under the house, wait until he goes in there and then set up the trap in front of the hole. Doesn't have to be real close, several feet away is OK. IMG_4207.jpgIMG_4210.jpg

Then, set up a couple of boards on end to form a chute to direct the animal to the trap. You would think he would just climb over, but they don't. They are lazy and creatures of habit, so he will just follow along the boards until he gets to the trap and will walk right in.

Use something sweet for bait. Ones around my house like apples and carrots. Throw a couple of concrete blocks on top of the trap to hold it down as they don't like walking into a trap that is moving around.

Once in the trap, relocate to the place of choice. Watch your fingers when handling the trap, they have long front teeth and will bite you through the cage if you get your hand up against it.