wood ash & commercial fertilizer together?

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
getting garden plot ready. can wood ash & commercial fertilizer be broadcast together? have read not to broadcast lime w/ fertilizer as they inhibit benefits? not sure w/wood ash. otherwise will broadcast a month apart. thx in advance

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #2  
I have made the mistake of just using what I have, like ahes, sand and chicken poop. One year, black muck from the swamp (and I found out where black flies come from) . Not good results. I think a soil test kit and knowing what you want to plant is a better approach. The black muck year, I had carotts smaller than tooth picks!

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #3  
I have made the mistake of just using what I have, like ahes, sand and chicken poop. One year, black muck from the swamp (and I found out where black flies come from) . Not good results. I think a soil test kit and knowing what you want to plant is a better approach. The black muck year, I had carotts smaller than tooth picks!
If you would have powdered the surface with hydrated lime, you would have eliminated the occurrence of the bulk of those black flies and freed up the soil nutrients contained in the black muck. Hydrated lime would also break down the chicken poop into compost and eliminate any smell from it and the black muck. ;)

As for the spindly carrots, the right soil PH has a lot to do with growing vegetables and growing anything else. My problem with growing carrots is not enough compost and too much hardpan. :(

When we dredged our neighbors pond, the first thing we did was cover the piles of algae, aquatic plants, and muck with hydrated lime to speed up the composting process while allowing time for the water drain out.

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #4  
It's always best to "rot down" raw materials in a pile before adding them to the garden. We plant a shorter variety of carrots here with good results in harder ground.
The soil testing can help determine what needs to be added. You can get good results by using a home test kit. This gives you a quicker idea of what's going on. If you have a commercial lab do it, it can get expensive and won't be anymore accurate than your home kit. (that is what I found out).
As for ashes, spread them out thin and work them in. Other fertilizers can then be put on and work it all in again. This is what I do, but I don't have a lot of ashes, so the amount you have would make some difference. thanks; sonny580

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #5  
Just a dumb question about ashes.... Can I put the ashes from my smoker in the garden? It's from all wood lump charcoal.

/ wood ash & commercial fertilizer together? #6  
Yes, that's what I do with ours.

I usually don't reply to "dumb" questions because "dumb" questions deserve dumb answers. However, your's is not a "dumb" question. :)