Won't start

/ Won't start #1  

Jofang

Tractor
Kubota BX2350, Kubota mower Z122, Fleming topper mower, flail mower, rotavator, wood chipper, grader box, Kubota auger, 20 ton splitter
I have a log splitter with what I think is a Briggs & Stratton G series gas engine with a pull cord start. Due to moving house I haven't used the machine for a couple of years, maybe even 3 years. After lots of pulling the motor will run for 5 seconds, then it dies, but what is concerning is that when it does run the exhaust chucks out engine oil, so much that it runs down the motor and drips on the floor. I know I'm going to have to strip & clean the carb but is there any reason why the motor should chuck out engine oil. It was running fine when I last used it a few years ago and the machine is only 4 years old and has had very little use.

/ Won't start #2  
You could have a stuck ring. It may free up with a bit of running time. If not you'll need to disassemble the engine. Before you tear the carburetor apart try emptying the fuel tank and refilling with a 50/50 mixture of Sea Foam and gasoline. Start the engine and let it run. If it will only run five seconds try getting it to go two or three times. This will get the mixture into the carburetor. Let it sit for a day and try it again. It may solve the carburetor cleaning problem.

/ Won't start
Thanks Roadworthy, I found the problem. I decided to start with the basics and change the oil. I removed the sump plug and out came a litre of gas, not oil. It appears that over time the gas in the tank had found its way past the petcock and carb into the sump. Fresh oil & gas and she now runs ok. Must change the petcock soon.

/ Won't start #4  
You may have been lucky - that it didn't run. Wonder what would have happened - it ran, got up to operating temperature - that liter of gas could have become explosive.

Anyhow - glad to hear all is well now.

/ Won't start
You may have been lucky - that it didn't run. Wonder what would have happened - it ran, got up to operating temperature - that liter of gas could have become explosive.

Anyhow - glad to hear all is well now.
Hi Oosik, very true, it could have become hot & possibly exploded, apart from wrecking the bottom end with no lube. Maybe I've been lazy and should have prepared the machine for long time inactivity. We never stop learning and this has been an inexpensive lesson.