Wobble pump

/ Wobble pump #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
I changed fuel filters on my Mahindra 6520 today. On the forward filter assy., there is a primer to pump while cracking open the banjo fitting to bleed the air out. On pre WWII aircraft, this was called a wobble pump, but was used to prime the engine to start. It was sweet just kneeling there and pumping the primer while cracking the banjo open and closed. On my old Ford 3055, you had to crack the filter bowl loose and then key the engine over. Do other brands use a primer on the fuel filter, or is this an Indian thing? I don't think the 10 series Mahindra's have a primer.
hugs, Brandi

/ Wobble pump #2  
Brandi,

The Case/IH 7110 (same basic Cummins engine that's in your Dodge pickup) we had had a plunger pump to bleed the air out of the fuel filters.

I can't remember if any of the other tractors did as well... probably not, I think I would remember if they did. I think the Ford 6610 that we had had a little lever on the fuel pump that you worked back and forth to do the same thing...but it wasn't on the fuel filter block...

Did you find anything in your filters? (ULSD crud, etc?) I just picked up a set of filters for my 3525 just the other day.

/ Wobble pump #3  
My John Deere 5220 has a manual pump on top of the filter housing, with screw valves to bleed the filter and the injector pump. My Kubota 3400 is the easiest I've ever seen. There is a valve on the motor that you open, crank the motor for 30 seconds, close the valve and you're done. Don't even get your hands dirty.

/ Wobble pump
xlr82v2 said:
Brandi,

The Case/IH 7110 (same basic Cummins engine that's in your Dodge pickup) we had had a plunger pump to bleed the air out of the fuel filters.

I can't remember if any of the other tractors did as well... probably not, I think I would remember if they did. I think the Ford 6610 that we had had a little lever on the fuel pump that you worked back and forth to do the same thing...but it wasn't on the fuel filter block...

Did you find anything in your filters? (ULSD crud, etc?) I just picked up a set of filters for my 3525 just the other day.
Brian,
In the primary (aft) filter bowl I found what could have been some gumming. Just a couple of specs, but enough to notice and clean out. The secondary bowl was clean. The filters them selves look to be clean and just had a "wet" coloring to them as opposed to the "dry" look the new filters had.
Also, upon further study, I read that the primer also bleeds the injector pump of air.
Having a plunger on my Cummins would be nice. The first time I changed it's filter, I had fuel squirting everywere. After that I learned to lower the filter and cap down slowly into the housing, then screw it on, then floor the pedal before starting, then pump it aggressively. Never had to bleed that system in almost 6 years.
hugs, Brandi

/ Wobble pump
Foodplot said:
My John Deere 5220 has a manual pump on top of the filter housing, with screw valves to bleed the filter and the injector pump. My Kubota 3400 is the easiest I've ever seen. There is a valve on the motor that you open, crank the motor for 30 seconds, close the valve and you're done. Don't even get your hands dirty.
Foodplot,
Sorry, but I have your Kubota beat on the easiest.:D Our CFM engines on our Boeing 737s have hydro-mechanical units or HMC (fancy name for fuel injector) that have high enough pressurizes to fill the filter housing with fuel after changing and purge out the air.:cool: The only time we have problems is upon mechanical fuel pump failure, which is part of the HMC. Which just ruins your night.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ Wobble pump #6  
My VW TDI has got you all beat on the easiest to change and bleed...you can do the eintire procedure in about 3 minutes.

You remove the old filter. Then install the new filter in the holder. Fill the new filter with diesel fuel. Reinstall the lines. Start the engine and drive away. It's an autobleed system. Works like a champ. The engine has never even stumbled after a filter change. Great engine. Brandi's CFM's might be easier, except for the safety wire ;)

/ Wobble pump
xlr82v2 said:
My VW TDI has got you all beat on the easiest to change and bleed...you can do the eintire procedure in about 3 minutes.

You remove the old filter. Then install the new filter in the holder. Fill the new filter with diesel fuel. Reinstall the lines. Start the engine and drive away. It's an autobleed system. Works like a champ. The engine has never even stumbled after a filter change. Great engine. Brandi's CFM's might be easier, except for the safety wire ;)
Brian,
There is no saftey wire. 6 bolts screw into the filter housing on the CFM. You have to disconnect lines on your TDI?:p I just unscrew the cap on the housing and the filter is retained in the cap.:) I think I will time the actual change next time. You do it also.
hugs, Brandi

/ Wobble pump #8  
Will do! ;) although, if you have no safety wire, then I do think the CFM's might be the easiest... unfortunately though, I haven't seen a tractor yet that could utilize all of the performance available from a CFM56....
:)

/ Wobble pump
xlr82v2 said:
Will do! ;) although, if you have no safety wire, then I do think the CFM's might be the easiest... unfortunately though, I haven't seen a tractor yet that could utilize all of the performance available from a CFM56....
:)
Brian,
Your forgetting about going up the stairs and pulling the fire handle after you pull the fire bottle breaker and tag it.
You need to watch the professional tractor pullers. They are getting close to a CFM. Most I have seen is 3 turboshafts tied to one tranny. But I need to add.........we need more RED represented at the pulls besides International!
hugs, Brandi

/ Wobble pump #10  
On the 737, does pulling the fire handle blow the bottle also? On the Learjet, pulling the fire handle only shuts off pneumatics, hydraulics, and fuel, and arms the fire bottles (2). Then, each bottle has a pushbutton to fire it. The halon will go to whichever engine the T handle is pulled on.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the pullers... A few years ago I saw one with a pair of Allison T56 turboshafts on it... each of those should have been good for at least 4000 hp if they were healthy. That guy didn't do so well though... I think he didn't have the tractor heavy enough, or just had TOO much power... couldn't get hooked up. Those Allisons had the prettiest blue flame coming out of the stacks though... and they were QUIET!! (compared to the blown BB V8's).