Wish me luck!!

/ Wish me luck!! #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
For the last year I have worked on carving spoons. I sold a lot on Etsy (see my signature) last December and used the money to buy a website and trademark my name. The plan for this business is to sell at craft fairs, and local fairs and to split the money that is made. ス will go to my daughter痴 college fund, and ス will go to my dream fund. The dream fund is to eventually build and operate a traditional craft school.

I have my first craft fair coming up. After purchasing a tent, weights, insurance, e-registering to take sales tax, registering my name, getting a smart phone to be able to swipe credit cards, and carving until my blister had blisters I think we are finally ready. The setting up of this business is more draining then the day to day work.

I love to carve spoons. I try to make spoons that still have the character of where they came from. I am finally more confident in my carving ability to leave the lines in the spoon. I find I am not spending a whole day just sanding. People have been more receptive to the more rustic spoons since it shows the process.
The spoons I carve are only from storm damaged wood. Hurricane Sandy, Snow storm Nemo, and we had a wind storm from what was left from the Oklahoma Tornados are some of the sources that have provided me with storm damaged wood.
I only use hand tools to carve the spoons. I use a froe to split the wood, a Gransfors Bruks carving ax to shape and a short sloyd knife and a hook knife (both made by Pinewood Forge) to create each spoon. Then I give it a quick 400 grit sand and seal with mineral oil (3 times) and finally add a coating of spoon butter (pure beeswax and mineral oil mixed to a paste).

These are my cooking spoons. I have larger serving spoons, but these are about 10-11 inches in length.

These are sugar maple spoons that have kolrosing done to them. Kolrosing means painting with coal. The designs are from psyanky (Ukrainian dyed Easter eggs) that I made with my Grandmother. I use a special knife (Pinewood Forge) and then put Anthracite coal dust in the designs. (My grandfather started at age 6 working in the mines picking shale from the coal called a breaker boy).

Butter knives

These are a few of my bark containers. I scrape the bark clean, weave, and add a top and base. (Great with a led tea light inside)

If you would like to check out my website its stormspoons.com and I am on Facebook at Storm Spoons. If you have any questions please let me know. I am more then glad explaining what I do.

/ Wish me luck!! #2  
Great looking products.:thumbsup:

/ Wish me luck!! #3  
Your work looks awesome. Good luck. Hope you have great success.

/ Wish me luck!! #4  
I love that, forge!! Especially your idea of starting a craft school! Even as a geezer, if I lived close enough, I would love to go to a craft school. And, this can be really great for young people. Yes, I'm wishing you great success!

/ Wish me luck!! #5  
Good luck! You have some really neat things there. :)

/ Wish me luck!!

I was doing a dry run on my booth set up. It is a 10x10 Caravan Displayshade with walls. I also have a banner to hang in the back.

/ Wish me luck!! #7  
Nice stuff. Good luck. :thumbsup:

/ Wish me luck!! #9  
Excellent work. You are continuing an art that used to be the Norm in the past. Here's wishing YOU the very best. This comes from the "Bottom of My Heart and Soul".