Wiring question for Inspector507

/ Wiring question for Inspector507 #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Many years ago when I installed my garage door opener, I ran Romex across the finished ceiling surface and installed an outlet box to plug in the opener cord. Now I know it wasn't up to code, but has worked fine for 30 years.

But we are planning to sell soon, so I know I need to make some changes. I have two thoughts:

1. Run EMT across the finished ceiling to the existing outlet box and replace the romex with individual wires.

or

2. Instead of EMT, use the surface mount raceway products that are available.

Number 2 would probably look a little nicer.

How should I transition from the romex to the wires inside the raceway or EMT. I need to do that inside a box of some type right. The romex currently runs inside the cavity of an unfinished exterior garage wall. I'll probably fasten a box to the stud at the ceiling height, bring the romex in one sidde and the raceway out the other.

Suggestions appreciated.

/ Wiring question for Inspector507 #2  
Gary,
You're right it probably doesn't meet code /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You can get the surface raceway materials at most Home Depot, Lowes, DIY home centers. Get a box that will accept a cable connector in one side or even the back and transition from there to the surface raceway (AKA Wiremold). It comes in plastic or metal. I prefer metal myself, but it's up to you.
Run that across the ceiling and fasten it to a framing member for peace of mind.
Let me know if you need more info.

Jerry

/ Wiring question for Inspector507
Thanks for the help. I think the wiremold will look better. I'll stop by Lowes this weekend and see what I can find.