Wireing Question

/ Wireing Question #1  

B7510HSD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Can I put 2 wall heaters both 1000 watt on the same 20 amp circuit?? If so these will be in 2 different rooms and what would be the correct way to wire these with thermostats in each room from the same breaker?? Can a junction box be used to split the power before the first thermostat or would it have to be split at the first thermostat? this is in a new addition and will require inspection.....Thanks for any info!!

/ Wireing Question #2  
Not enough info. Are you using 120 volt circuit or 240? using ohms law using 120 you come out to nearly 17 amps so you should be fine as long nothing else is added to that circuit. however I think 240 is more efficient as it comes out to less then 9 amps.
Also I have no idea what type of thermostat you have- but assuming its the kind I am thinking of- you would want the power to go to the first thermostat that is the closest to breaker box and branch off the power live IN that box to the second thermostat only if the first box for thermostat has enough room and the theremostat has a extra terminal to branch off power like a plug does. Junction box is the easiest thing to do, but putting it walls or area where there is no easy access is not a good idea. In today's houses, we are so power hungry and we keep adding junction boxes all over the place its becoming a hazard. I would try to stay away from junction boxes if you can so there is no way to add more devices to that circuit so its stays a dedicated circuit.

Also what size wiring are you going with? 12? 10? hope nothingg less.

/ Wireing Question
Not enough info. Are you using 120 volt circuit or 240? using ohms law using 120 you come out to nearly 17 amps so you should be fine as long nothing else is added to that circuit. however I think 240 is more efficient as it comes out to less then 9 amps.
Also I have no idea what type of thermostat you have- but assuming its the kind I am thinking of- you would want the power to go to the first thermostat that is the closest to breaker box and branch off the power live IN that box to the second thermostat only if the first box for thermostat has enough room and the theremostat has a extra terminal to branch off power like a plug does. Junction box is the easiest thing to do, but putting it walls or area where there is no easy access is not a good idea. In today's houses, we are so power hungry and we keep adding junction boxes all over the place its becoming a hazard. I would try to stay away from junction boxes if you can so there is no way to add more devices to that circuit so its stays a dedicated circuit.

Also what size wiring are you going with? 12? 10? hope nothingg less.
It is a 120v system sorry forgot that part...and we are useing 12/2 I guess I could use the bigger double box and adapt it down to the single slot for the thermostat?? these are line voltage thermostat's by the way! thanks for the info someone told there were no junction boxes allowed I will have access to and attic for this if needed...

/ Wireing Question #4  
Really you should never put more then 80% load on a breaker. 80% of 20 is 16 Amps. I personally would run two circuit for these heaters. They both could be 15 Amp circuits. If you choose to put them on the same circuit, you can hit a junction box and then run two separate lines to each 120 volt thermostat then to the heater. Again, one circuit is not advised.

/ Wireing Question #5  
Really you should never put more then 80% load on a breaker. 80% of 20 is 16 Amps. I personally would run two circuit for these heaters. They both could be 15 Amp circuits. If you choose to put them on the same circuit, you can hit a junction box and then run two separate lines to each 120 volt thermostat then to the heater. Again, one circuit is not advised.

That is correct. Use two separate circuits. The 80% is a real code requirement, not just a suggestion. Long term you will have issues if you violate it. The inspector might miss it if you are unlucky. Hopefully he will find it and make you correct it,

/ Wireing Question
Thanks for the info guys I will check out what we have availible for breakers...Would it be bad to put a heater and a ceiling light in the room on the same breaker?

/ Wireing Question #7  
Been away from the trade for a few years now, but the light and heater is an idea I used to use all the time, as long as its a 15 amp breaker. Otherwise you could wind up needing 3 circuits....

/ Wireing Question #8  
B7510HSD said:
Thanks for the info guys I will check out what we have availible for breakers...Would it be bad to put a heater and a ceiling light in the room on the same breaker?

That should not be a problem on the 15 amp breaker unless it is more the 500 watts of light fixture. That would be like 5 100 watt light bulbs so you should be good.

/ Wireing Question
great I'm short on breaker space...Ok with 2 small bedrooms now I need outlets can both rooms be on the same 20 amp breaker here or will it require seprate breakers also?

/ Wireing Question #10  
They can be on the same and again it can be a 15Amp breaker. But it does have to be a arc fault breaker per code. More then 5 times the cost but required by code.