Winter tires for tractor snow removal

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #11  
If you watch some of the videos of tractors plowing in Europe;they move at very good speed,chains would not let them perform as well.Chains also tear up asphalt and concrete.No doubt chains are superior in over-all traction but not when speed is thrown in the equation.

Exactly or at least not as fast as the Europeans move their tractors along when plowing roads..

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #12  
I have dedicated ice and snow Yokohama's on my truck. Yes, they are better, but ultimately for a tractor you should look at chains unless you're concerned about your pavement.

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #14  
Thank you, I have a mile long dirt road, and 400 ft of gravel driveway what type of chains do you recommend, and how many sets for a 4 X 4 30 hp tractor?
Cheers

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal
Wow, leave for a bit of Holiday cheer and things really get busy around here :)

Grouseman,

We usually only put chains on the rear wheels. The chains we use have lugs intergrated into them for better grip. Mechanic where we get our servicing done suggested we not use chains on the front tires. He said it puts to much strain on the front drive train. Found it interesting since he has front chains on all the big log skidders, but I guess they are designed differently from tractors.

Do you think the Nokian winter tires would wear out prematurely if used in the summer?

Happy holidays to all,

870Wing

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal
The chains we use look like like these. s-l1600.jpg

Take care

870Wing

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #17  
I think Rusty that if you did not want to run front chains and relying on these tires as a compromise, nothing is going to give you better traction than the chains you currently have for snow work.

Arrow if I were limited to my property, I'd just run the chains for sure. They are amazing, but I'm in my 2nd year of having a small plowing "route" of 26 driveways and have found (so far) that I can get them done with just the tires, saving those expensive chains from a lot of "roading" for when they are really needed. There are a few driveways that with a heavy snow I might have to plow down hill, so far I'm good. Several of the drives on the fancier homes are paved and that's another problem and those "Trygg" ice chains are not a casual, side of the road installation like a simple ladder chain as you know.

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #18  
Arrow if I were limited to my property, I'd just run the chains for sure. They are amazing, but I'm in my 2nd year of having a small plowing "route" of 26 driveways and have found (so far) that I can get them done with just the tires, saving those expensive chains from a lot of "roading" for when they are really needed. There are a few driveways that with a heavy snow I might have to plow down hill, so far I'm good. Several of the drives on the fancier homes are paved and that's another problem and those "Trygg" ice chains are not a casual, side of the road installation like a simple ladder chain as you know.

I can easily understand your situation. The nobby tread design as in your previous pic, would make a traction compromise over a chained tire but the compromise seems to hold advantages for your situation.
Some of my biggest wrestling matches have been with tire chains. If a skidder I was operating threw a chain, at first I'd attempt to fasten it up myself in the wood. Ever hear of Y&S? (young and stupid). As I got older, I'd simply attach the chain to the skidder and drag it back to the landing and I'd go change out a bar chain while the landing crew wrestled with the skidder chain. These chains could weigh in the vicinity of 400 lbs.

/ Winter tires for tractor snow removal #19  
// As I got older, I'd simply attach the chain to the skidder and drag it back to the landing and I'd go change out a bar chain while the landing crew wrestled with the skidder chain. These chains could weigh in the vicinity of 400 lbs.
image-L.jpg

These dudes trashed the wooden bridge decking.