Winter-Putting mower to bed

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
Wondering what others do to put mower to bed for the winter. What I do is - change oil and filter, new air filter, clean or replace plugs, replace fuel filter if needed, grease chassis and deck, sharpen/balance blades, clean the underside of the deck, air up tires a little more than usual, fill tank to the brim with non ethanol 91 octane, bring battery in the house on a maintainer, this year I’m changing oil in transmission, jack stand under front and back to keep weight off the tires, clean the mower completely, mouse traps under the hood and mouse bait and lastly is wax my mower. Yeah, I know I got some OCD.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #2  
Dam. :oops:
That seems excessive. But it's good if you got the $ and the time for all that. Personally, I want to buy a used mower from you ;)

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed
Dam. :oops:
That seems excessive. But it's good if you got the $ and the time for all that. Personally, I want to buy a used mower from you ;)
I’ll sell it to ya when I get 3000 hours on it, lol. My investment is probably about $75 each winter. My daddy always told me, if it ain’t worth taking care of then throw it away. Headed outside to mulch leaves and then I’ll tuck her in for the winter, lol.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #4  
I scrape under the deck clean, power wash everything, grease all zerks, top off fuel, and cover it loosely with a tarp.

May want to keep your old air filter in there for the winter in case critters get in it and chew it up. I put a new filter in in the Spring.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed
I scrape under the deck clean, power wash everything, grease all zerks, top off fuel, and cover it loosely with a tarp.

May want to keep your old air filter in there for the winter in case critters get in it and chew it up. I put a new filter in in the Spring.
That’s actually a good idea about leaving the old air filter in till Spring.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #6  
I added a fuel valve on mine so I add fuel stabilizer and shut the fuel off letting and run it untl it starves of fuel. Then I take an air hose and clean all dust and dirt and filter. Same with the 3 bin bagger. I also seal the baggers in a plastic bag to keep critters out.
Then I store it in the garage with a cover and battery trickle charger (battery disconnected from tractor).
I have 1,000 hours and bought this tractor in 2006.
I only change the filter once every two years, clean the air filter-replace the fuel filter. I also change the oil every year after storage. In the spring I add a little sea foam to the gas.
Doesnt burn oil, starts right up...proof my method works-at least for 17 years now. Wow, in 7 years my Husvarna YTH2448 will be an antique.....I guess they are junk after all. Im still on the original drive belt too.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #7  
Wondering what others do to put mower to bed for the winter. What I do is - change oil and filter, new air filter, clean or replace plugs, replace fuel filter if needed, grease chassis and deck, sharpen/balance blades, clean the underside of the deck, air up tires a little more than usual, fill tank to the brim with non ethanol 91 octane, bring battery in the house on a maintainer, this year I’m changing oil in transmission, jack stand under front and back to keep weight off the tires, clean the mower completely, mouse traps under the hood and mouse bait and lastly is wax my mower. Yeah, I know I got some OCD.
Good luck with that-I got better things to do with my OCD than a garden tractor :)

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #8  
1 of 2 riders started it's long winter nap last Saturday...oil and filter change fuel top of with additive and deck clean top and under side,also grease and spray lube points of interest plus battery inside...had good old fashion soap bubble bath.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #9  
Swapped out the bush hog for the wood chipper. Just lubed the bush hog 2 zerks and Ujoints.

Don't have to do much of anything on the Ryobi 48v ZT. May need to still use it if trails or lawn grow a little bit.

/ Winter-Putting mower to bed #10  
Glad I'm not the only nut job that waxes the mower. 17 years old now and still serves us well. Also wax snowblower to slow down rusty and snow doesn't stick so bad.