Winter Projects

/ Winter Projects #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
This past spring I finally installed a high efficiency propane furnace in the 900 sq ft shop on California's north coast, so I can work comfortably in the winter. I've been trying to tough it out but finally gave up. It isn't cold compared to the central part of the country but it is too cold for me. Now looking forward to a much more productive winter. First job is getting my wife's old sports car back on the road. Also my old Norton Commando. And at least one tractor project. I am going to graft my 30-year old Harbor Freight engine hoist onto a SSQA plate to make an adjustable jib. Already took the hoist apart and got started on the car.

Attachments

• jib.jpg
    jib.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 295
  • alfa.jpg
    alfa.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 303
   / Winter Projects #2  
If it's cold ( 30F and below for me) I have little motivation to leave the house. A heated workspace is extremely nice.

/ Winter Projects #3  
Those to projects you should get any cabin fever. ;)

/ Winter Projects #5  
This past spring I finally installed a high efficiency propane furnace in the 900 sq ft shop on California's north coast, so I can work comfortably in the winter. I've been trying to tough it out but finally gave up. It isn't cold compared to the central part of the country but it is too cold for me. Now looking forward to a much more productive winter. First job is getting my wife's old sports car back on the road. Also my old Norton Commando. And at least one tractor project. I am going to graft my 30-year old Harbor Freight engine hoist onto a SSQA plate to make an adjustable jib. Already took the hoist apart and got started on the car.

I’ll be watching your engine hoist project. I have the 1 ton version.

/ Winter Projects #6  
Pat,
I have a propane furnace in my shop with the thermostat set on 60F degrees. I also use a wood stove. Depending on the project, I like the temp around 70F. So in the mornings I stoke the wood stove and fill it before I go to the house in the evenings. Last year I burned 113 gallons of propane. I "live" in my shop in the Winter. I checked out this thread to see what Winter Projects would show up. I get some great ideas from threads like this!!!!

As to the Norton. Good friend of mine had an 850 Commando in 1980. I had a Honda 750K. We were both in the local Army Reserve unit. We rode our bikes to Ft McCoy Wisconsin for training one Summer. The Norton blew a head gasket on the tip up there. We were only going to be there 2 weeks. George got ahold of a JC Whitney catalog and ordered a new head gasket. It showed up in the mail and we installed the new head gasket on the first floor of the Army barracks.

On that same trip him and I were sitting at a stop light, gave each other the "let's race" nod. Light turned green and I took off. Got down the street half a block and I don't hear George, where's he at??? Quickly turned around and went back to the intersection. There was George in the middle of the intersection trying to push the Commando off the street with the back tire sliding!!!! It had busted the chain tightener and wound the chain up on the transmission sprocket locking the back tire!!!! After I laughed at him uncontrollably for a minute I helped him get it off the street!!!! That was a very cool bike!!! Post your progress on yours. Heck, post a pic of it as it sits now!!!! His was silver in color.

/ Winter Projects
I used to joke that the Norton was like a helicopter, 4 hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time. But it was a great bike. These days I am sure any of the common Japanese sports bikes could run circles around it. Will get a photo up!

/ Winter Projects #8  
I used to joke that the Norton was like a helicopter, 4 hours of maintenance for every 1 hour of flight time. But it was a great bike. These days I am sure any of the common Japanese sports bikes could run circles around it. Will get a photo up!

But can you order a head gasket set and get it within two weeks, and then install it in an Army barracks with common hand tools on a common Japanese sports bike??? :)

/ Winter Projects
Norton pix. I am starting with the lighting, like all older British vehicles the electric stuff is marginally functional.

Attachments

• norton1.jpg
    norton1.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 212
  • norton2.jpg
    norton2.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 200
   / Winter Projects
Pat,
I have a propane furnace in my shop with the thermostat set on 60F degrees. I also use a wood stove. Depending on the project, I like the temp around 70F. So in the mornings I stoke the wood stove and fill it before I go to the house in the evenings. Last year I burned 113 gallons of propane. I "live" in my shop in the Winter. I checked out this thread to see what Winter Projects would show up. I get some great ideas from threads like this!!!!

I don't use a wood stove, but for several years I got by with this fan in the ceiling. Above the fan there are two 8" sonotubes that go up to the peak of the attic. On a sunny day the air there is 105-110 degrees. The fan (a $50 window fan) goes on automatically and pulls the hot air down into the shop. It will raise the temperature to 60-70 degrees depending on outside temperature. IF the sun is shining on the roof. If the sun is not shining, it doesn't work at all. So I hope to limit use of the furnace primarily to December and January, when the sun is low in the sky and it is overcast most the time anyway.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 179