Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I took the pictures that follow a week ago on a beautiful but very cold day. The temperature according to my car was 0, and there was a 25 mph wind. So there was a lot of pain associated with these pictures, especially the one near the breakwater. I trudged through the snow in my street shoes to get to the beach and thought I would do better w/o my gloves. After five minutes my hands were numb so I wore my gloves after that:

Breakwater Marquette harbor, Lake Superior

breakwater-Marquette-upper-.jpg

Big driftwood on Lake Superior shore near Presque Isle park near Marquette, MI

driftwood-near-breakwater.jpg

Surf's up but surfer's aren't. I guess the zero degree temperature and 25 mph winds kept them home.

Surf_s-up.jpg

The big boulders were imported for erosion control on Presque Isle Beach near Marquette, MI on Lake Superior

erosion-control-Presque-Isl.jpg

Carp River near Marquette

Carp-river.jpg

You can barely see the last small ore ships outline o against the ore dock. Some of the ships bring in coal to fuel the power plant just beyond the ore dock. The plant's smoke stacks are visable.

last-oreship-of-the-season.jpg

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #2  
Makes me cold just looking..

Beautiful pictures.

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #3  
Brrrr..no thanks.

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #4  
Nice place how is the ice fishing makes me want to visit.

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #5  
Buurrrr, that looks pretty, but painful, I would have to wear a nice hat..

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #6  
Those are great pictures. I thought UP of Michigan was only for the sujmer and y'all went South for the winter.:)

MoKelly

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior
I love the winter. I sometimes go south of the equator to get more winter in during our summer period.:)

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #8  
Where is the snow? My sons and I have a snowmobile trip planned for the first week in March. Will there be enough snow to make it worth while?

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #9  
Brings back memories. I was in that area (Ishpeming) for a couple weeks 32 years ago.
I was so curious why all these houses had a door on second floor with no stairways, till some one pointed out that was the only way some times that they could get out after a snow storm!:(

/ Winter in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior #10  
I love the winter. I sometimes go south of the equator to get more winter in during our summer period.:)

How is the snow amount this year? Here we have had little or no snow most of the winter. Southern NH is brown now, we have some snow here at our place, but very little. I have not used the snowblower once this year.

Wayne