Winter Boots

/ Winter Boots #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I need a new pair of winter boots. I want to know what the experts are wearing and saying about them. I have an old pair of gor-tex boots that are shot and I need to replace them. Here is what I found, Cabela's has there Big Game Tracker on sale for $79.95, reg $99.95. Its 800 grams of thinsulate and gor-tex lined and waterproof with a good woods tread. I like them pretty good.

Here is what I want in a boot. Good price, comfortable, water proof and warm with a good woods tread, I dont want steel toes. Is 800 grams of thinsulate enough or should I go with more?

Whats you think and out there?

Sherpa

/ Winter Boots #2  
Try Sportsman's Guide .

They've always got good prices for a good quality boot.

Cabela's a great place, but they're rather high in price, IMHO.

I've gotten a number of items from Sportsman's Guide. The stuff they sell are normally overstocks or factory seconds, but I'm still wearing a nice pair of insulated boots I bought 5 years ago...and a fine parka (very warm) I bought closer to 10 years ago.

/ Winter Boots #3  
I can't really comment on how much insulation you will need in N.C., but that is a good price on a Gore-Tex insulated boot. I am sure 800 grams should handle the weather, especially if you are walking or working. I use a pair of Rocky Bear Claws here in New York for everything except for extended sitting (like an hour of snowplowing) throughout our winters, with temps down below 0.
Will

/ Winter Boots #4  
I just bought a pair of chippewas ( 400 grams thinsulate) from sportsmans for $79.95. great deal! Having lived in New England all my life and liking the winter outdoors what I've found works for me is my winter boots 1 size larger than my shoes and I wear a pair of thin white cotton socks under a pair of winter boot socks. As I got older I found that it doesn't matter how much insulation a boot has, if your feet get sweaty, after four to six hours in the snow or ice your feet will get cold. Hope this helps. looking forward to 12"-18" this weekend lotta seat time

/ Winter Boots #5  
My boots have gone many miles... They are Gortex w/ thinsulate and were worn in warm and snowy weather. Retired them after 3 years and this pic....

http://users.adelphia.net/~gizmo/

Attachments

• 569395-May 15 tractor 033.jpg
    569395-May 15 tractor 033.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 286
   / Winter Boots #6  
Hi sherpa,

There are a bunch of pretty good boots out there that will meet your needs. Your specification of "waterproof" can be achieved in a number of ways. The current fancy is Goretex (GTX) which has its advocates as well as its critics. My personal experience with both trekking and mountaineering boots argues against GTX in footwear (though I think it's the bees knees for most, if not all other outerwear).

As you are probably aware, GTX is a thin, rubbery membrane with pores that allow water vapor to escape but not enter. Its Achilles heel (pun intended) is that it can be very easily damaged, thereby rendering it useless in a pair of boots. In outerwear, it is usually sandwiched and thus protected, and a small violation does not mean your entire body will get soaked. However, in the confined space of a boots,one small leak can make you miserable pretty quickly.

The most common ways of damaging GTX in boots are through bodily contaminates blocking the pores (sweat, salt, skin oils, foot bacteria, and sand/silt carried on your socks), and mechanical disruption via chafing/rubbing and flex/bending. These "problems" are realistically unavoidable in any footwear. The effectiveness of GTX will therefore progressively deteriorate with each wearing as the pores become filled with bodily contaminates and the membrane gets more worn from chafing or cracked from boot flex. An additional issue with GTX lined boots is that when they do get wet inside (like from wearing or from accidental water over the top), they take a lot longer to dry than either conventional treated leather boots or even rubber bottom boots.

With that said, one makes yer choice and pays yer money-- generally a lot more for the GTX, which for reasons above is not worth it, imho. To wit, a number of respected mountaineering boot mfrs have discontinued using GTX.

I prefer boots crafted here in the USA. Three good sources are LaCrosse out of WI [HERE], Schnees out of Bozeman MT [HERE], and of course L.L. Bean [HERE]

Right now, Schnees has on sale the LaCrosse Backcountry PFT w/ 800 Gm Thinsulate for $90. They also have their own Schnee 10" Arctic w/ same Thinsulate for the same price. These boots are regularly around $180.

You can buy LaCrosse direct or from a number of vendors. I like ShoeBuy [HERE] since they offer great prices and free shipping. BTW, they carry boots from lots of mfrs, so if you find another boot you like, check if they carry it and their price. Another good source is Macks Prairie Wings out of AR [HERE]

Hope that helps.

/ Winter Boots #9  
I have had good luck with Rocky brand waterproof boots with thinsulate. 800 grams should keep your feet warm. I would suggest hunting socks that have the ability to wick moisture away from your feet.

/ Winter Boots #10  
Winter boots:

leave anything with gortex on the shelf. For boots its useless as well as in outer clothing when it is very cold out and one is working hard. Works good for standing still.

Try for something that has an outer shell and a removable liner. Much quicker to dry.

Socks can be used to make up for lack of insulation. No cotton. Pair of light silk and then cover with heavy wool socks. Size the boots for this.

Lastly remember one type boot may not be able to do it all.

Egon