Winch on Kubota RTV ?

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
So I just ordered a 2017 Kubota RTV X1100C, comes in a week or two. I wanted to handle doing a winch for it myself later on (closer to hunting season) I was thinking that since the unit has a two inch receiver on the front and back, it would be nice to have a winch I can remove from the front receiver and put on the back one. Has anyone made one to fit 2 inch receiver or bought one like that and roughly how much if you bought one? I figure since the RTV weighs roughly 2000 lbs I would need a 3000 or 4000 lb one, . I figure just use removable clamps on the battery posts..........or is that wrong way of thinking.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #2  
Makes a lot more sense than a permanent mount in the front.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #3  
I agree with nybirdman, I like your plan with options of front to back mounting. Congrats on the new machine!

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #4  
The ability to change the winch from the front to the rear receiver is a good idea but I would run a pair of separate leads with winch plugs for a nice clean installation. The long lead with clips would work but removing covers to access the battery, storing the cable, keeping it out of the way while winching etc would drive me nuts.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #5  
I know that Warn use to or still does make a "hitch receiver" winch. Its a very handy situation - being able to pull either forward or backward.

Just know one thing - electric winches are real true battery killers. They can fry a battery faster than a raw egg on a Houston sidewalk.

Go ahead with your idea - its valid - but be prepared, as you might have to add a second battery into the system to give you more "run time".

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #6  
A second battery (Marine deep cycle) is a great idea;mount in the bed for easy hook-ups;charge as needed.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #7  
My 2 cents, They RTV should have mounting holes for the winch. You can get a good winch for the amount of use from harbor freight.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #8  
I can see the benefit of either end use. I would have a centrally located plug on the RTV and a 10-12ft lead on the winch. Buy quality connectors and quality wire. The power your winch is capable of producing depends on it. I'd upgrade to a quality deep cycle battery. Would also be nice to have a Volt meter installed. Lets you monitor the battery rather than knowing it's about dead after you shut the RTV off.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #9  
Great idea but a couple of cautions, Many of the Harbour freight/Princess auto mounts are not long enough to put the pin in the Kubota receiver (hole is drilled short of the hole in the mount). We use the flat plugs that are commonly used for snow plows and fork lifts, maintain polarity, easy to plug in and remove and are relatively cheap at NAPA or advance auto parts. We use the 50 amp units and 4 gauge wire with no issues.

/ Winch on Kubota RTV ? #10  
So I just ordered a 2017 Kubota RTV X1100C, comes in a week or two. I wanted to handle doing a winch for it myself later on (closer to hunting season) I was thinking that since the unit has a two inch receiver on the front and back, it would be nice to have a winch I can remove from the front receiver and put on the back one. Has anyone made one to fit 2 inch receiver or bought one like that and roughly how much if you bought one? I figure since the RTV weighs roughly 2000 lbs I would need a 3000 or 4000 lb one, . I figure just use removable clamps on the battery posts..........or is that wrong way of thinking.
=----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't need a winch that large unless you contemplate getting stuck down a bank somewhere where you would have a
long line pull with a sheave block to increase the winches pulling power-provided you have enough cable and a tree that you can secure the sheave block to.

A sheave block is a must for getting pulled out of a mud bog provided you have enough chain to make use of the sheave block under tension and provided you have adequate way to anchor the cable back on the rtv.

it would be worth your while to ask about having a high output alternator installed in your new toy before they deliver it.
They offer them for their mules and I am sure you can trade for one in your case.

The flat cable connectors are a must to prevent problems and short circuits.

You can buy winch trays for the 2 inch receivers from both Warn and Ramsey.