win phone 8.1 problems? post them here

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Just had win phone 8.1 upgrade download to the wifes nokia lumia 1520 running black, killed it deader than a doornail. Wouldn't even recover after nokias tech support gave the procedure to hard reset and erase everything on the phone. Have heard reports of other nokia users with DOA phones after the update.

Nokia roleld the update out in batches. My 1020 has not recieved the notification to update.. but I'm going to delay it till they get their stuff straightened out. Having to get a replacement phone for the wife. She is quite mad at the loss of info. Sure.. we have skydrive for backup.. but it apparently lags a few days even if set to auto backup.. so she has lost up to the last 2 weeks worth of saved documents.

looks like her calander and contacts list, minus anything just added is still archived in her microsoft account though..

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #2  
I joined the developer preview to play with it on my 920, everything went smooth. It's really an awesome update, I hope you get things sorted. I think you will like it.

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #3  
Man, that stinks. I've got no experience with Windows phones, only Apple and Andriod. I like apple better, just from personal experience.

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here
I joined the developer preview to play with it on my 920, everything went smooth. It's really an awesome update, I hope you get things sorted. I think you will like it.

i must say.. i'm not impressed. considering the 1520 uses the snapdragon processor as well.. i'm wondering why some installs are going clean and some are permanently borking phones and making attractive door stops out of them??

the third rep i talked to after having the issue escalated twice, told me she had been fielding calls about borked phones since monday!! People that didn't complain loudly enough were referred to okia for warranty replacement.. if under warranty...people that did complain loudly enough, the carrier ( i won't reveal the name.. but with the phones in question.. there are limited choices as to who the carrier is. ;) ), the carrier was handling the warranty claim with nokia and facilitating the tradeout and expedited shipping.

Also said they had a tech brief out to nokia advising of the difficulties in upgrading on certain hardware. Considering the upgrade had been slated to roll out in batches.. and my wife got it.. but i havn't. I'd almost guess the rollout has been modified in response to the 'borking ability' it has on some handsets.

i remember the message that came with the 8.1 update.... 'it will be worth the wait'

yeah right.. or.. uh.. no.. WRONG!!!.

you'd think the manufacturer and the software os developer would have a pretty tight wrap on the upgradea-ability of their handset devices considering it is essentially a 'bucket' environment. Not like a pc, where the user could modify code. download a ton of stuff, add possibly unsupported hardware.. etc. a phone on the other had.. the manufacturer EXACTLY knows what hardware is in use.. and what base system is in place ( black os for instance ). given these pretty strict variables.. it's disapointing that they are borking phones so bad that they have to be REPLACED... that's a pretty nice software issue that damages hardware. can't wait till a malware code writer figures out whatever weakness is being exploited by the failing upgrade. figure out a way to send that out like a sim upgrade or soemthing and poof. take down an entire phone population!

well done nokia!

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #5  
Thanks Soundguy for the post, I have a 928. I haven't upgraded yet.

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #6  
Man, that stinks. I've got no experience with Windows phones, only Apple and Andriod. I like apple better, just from personal experience.

That helps what besides your post count?

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #7  
Well, Soundguy and I share information about electronics on a regular basis, so I was expressing empathy for his situation and letting him know that I cannot help him on this one.

How you feel about that Skippy?

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #8  
I feel fine. But I think it's just typical apple userness shining through...

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here #9  
Just had win phone 8.1 upgrade download to the wifes nokia lumia 1520 running black, killed it deader than a doornail. QUOTE]

The same thing happened with my PC. The one I have now I have not upgraded but it has a tendency to hang up 3-4 times a day

/ win phone 8.1 problems? post them here
Well, Soundguy and I share information about electronics on a regular basis, so I was expressing empathy for his situation and letting him know that I cannot help him on this one.

How you feel about that Skippy?

Funny thing was the wife switched from an apple phone to this. for a while she was happy. wished we had stayed on 8 on her phone and not updated!