Wild muscadine vine advice?

/ Wild muscadine vine advice? #1  

om21braz

Veteran Member
In clearing out some trees around the perimeter of my house I have found several wild muscadine vines. No fruit, but very long/plentiful vines. I have not traced them down completely to find the main trunks. My question being - not knowing the type or gender - is it worth the attempt to find the main trunks, fab-up a trellis or two of sorts, and attempt to prune with hopes of them bearing fruit next year? Or should I add in a couple new plants of known species, male and female if I am to expect results? Thanks ahead for your advice!

/ Wild muscadine vine advice? #2  
I have a similar issue where I cleared land two years ago. There are lots of plants coming out of the ground but almost no fruit. I find that the plants bear fruit where they are able to get to the outside of the clearings and whatever trees they are climbing. I have also noticed that deer eat all the low fruit.

I plan to build a 6' tall no climb horse fence around the yard area and encourage the muscadine to climb it. Hopefully the fruit on the inside will be safe.

/ Wild muscadine vine advice? #3  
We have them on our horse pasture fence and the deer love them....you will have to fence off the deer if you are planning to actually ever get some for yourself.

/ Wild muscadine vine advice? #4  
thank you...i did not know that deer ate them: for the last several years, some vines i planted 7 or 8 years ago, get all sorts of fruit on them, then it all disappears..so i am guessing, but whatever eats them, don't wait for them to get ripe..
heehaw