Wild hogs in Kentucky

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Never even knew there were any around here.

My wife called this morning on her way to drop the kids of at school and said they had seen a wild hog off to the side of the road. I did a little bit of a mental eye-roll because I had no clue KY had any, but what she described sure sounded like a feral oinker. I looked up the KY Fish & Wildlife website and, sure enough, there's a blurb on there about sightings here.

So, not really knowing much about them other than the sensational "Hogzilla" stories...what do I need to know? I have two young children and live "in the woods". Any danger here? Are they aggressive? Are they tasty?

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #2  
Kill each and every one you can. Bait them with corn and shoot them. Trap them and feed them corn for a few weeks, then feed them to your family. They are destructive creatures that you really do not want around.

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #3  
Never even knew there were any around here.

My wife called this morning on her way to drop the kids of at school and said they had seen a wild hog off to the side of the road. I did a little bit of a mental eye-roll because I had no clue KY had any, but what she described sure sounded like a feral oinker. I looked up the KY Fish & Wildlife website and, sure enough, there's a blurb on there about sightings here.

So, not really knowing much about them other than the sensational "Hogzilla" stories...what do I need to know? I have two young children and live "in the woods". Any danger here? Are they aggressive? Are they tasty?

Feral Hogs= more trouble for the wildlife and farmers than anything. No real threat for the kids unless piglets and sow are around or if you corner one up. Yes, they are good eating. We usually eat ours smoked.:thumbsup:

They multiply like rabbits so seeing one means you have tons of them. An all out war on them is usually the best defense!

Last edited:
   / Wild hogs in Kentucky #4  
Here is Mo. the conservation dept is urging hunters to shoot on sight, no season, considered vermin.. Destructive to natural habitat, and crowd out native species. and destroy plant life.. what can you say, "pigs gotta eat"

James K0UA

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #5  
From what I have heard they are shy - you would see them sooner otherwise. and I would not consider them dangerous.

I am sure Eddie will pitch in - he has lot of them on his property. Eddie also says they taste better than venison - I would try to hunt them if I were you. Likely the season is open year around, since they are a pest.

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #6  
They have also been seen in NEW YORK STATE...probably escapees from local game farms...NYSDEC has a shoot on site order and report.You don't want them to get established.

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #7  
Here is Mo. the conservation dept is urging hunters to shoot on sight, no season, considered vermin.. Destructive to natural habitat, and crowd out native species. and destroy plant life.. what can you say, "pigs gotta eat"

James K0UA

If you do eat them, cook them well or risk parasite infections.

Feral Pig Fact Sheet - WDNR

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky
If you do eat them, cook them well or risk parasite infections.

Feral Pig Fact Sheet - WDNR

And I was walking around our property about a week ago and saw a young Virginia Pine sapling that had the "rubbed" look as if rubbed by deer. I thought that was weird for early Spring. "Feral pigs also rub on a variety of objects to scratch themselves or to remove dried mud or parasites from their skin. They have been known to rub on trees, rocks, fence posts and power poles. The rubs are usually from ground level up to about 3 feet high..."

/ Wild hogs in Kentucky #10  
Interesting link...at first glance, it could be easy to confuse deer tracks with feral pig tracks. Guess I need to start taking a good look when I see "deer tracks".

You are correct but deer tracks are more pronunced, curved and pointed. Also, look for beds in thicket, mud on trees usually about 3' down to ground level(especially around bogs and wallows) and they commonly show up at dusk to dawn time frame. They have great noses but don't see too well....Oh, and did I mention they breed like rabbits?:confused::mad: