Wife shot another hog

/ Wife shot another hog #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Deer season is still a month away, but we have been doing a lot of target practicing for a free range exotic hunt in two weeks. This afternoon a friend came over, so we put off going to our range and while Karen showed her around and they talked horses. While driving around on the Mule, they came across four hogs tearing up the grass on our dam at 2:30. She was so fired up about seeing them that she wanted to go get them this evening. No target practice today, this was going to be the real thing. Sure enough, at 6 o'clock, they where out there again making a mess. We had to crawl through some tall grass to get as close as possible, which was 150 yards. She is shooting a 7mm-08 with a Remington 700 youth model. One shot through the heart and it was all done!!!!

IMG_6538.jpg

IMG_6541.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

/ Wife shot another hog #2  
I been dealing with same thing,every time seems like go out hogs and more hogs. Messing up my bow hunting and my food plots. I have killed 4 in my big food plot and they keep coming back same place. Sure need some rain so something may actually come up.

/ Wife shot another hog #3  
I been dealing with same thing,every time seems like go out hogs and more hogs. Messing up my bow hunting and my food plots. I have killed 4 in my big food plot and they keep coming back same place. Sure need some rain so something may actually come up.
You can have some of our rain. Today is the first day in over a week it hasn't rained all day.

/ Wife shot another hog #4  
Hogs are not something that I'd want to deal with. Good for her. How many do y'all kill each year?

/ Wife shot another hog
In a really bad year, maybe a dozen. This is the first one we've killed this year. Last year I built a fence around my corn feeder and they haven't been near the problem they used to be. After awhile, I got tired of them and realized that having hogs around all the time at the deer feeder was scaring off the deer. Now we have deer hanging out here.

/ Wife shot another hog #6  
Hogs are not a problem we have here locally. Good shooting and nice gun

/ Wife shot another hog #7  
Karen looks pretty happy with her trophy!!

Dumb question for ya - Will you turn that hog into sausage or will he just be buried and turned into fertilizer?

Sweetie and I stayed at a B&B (actually an old church turned into a small hotel) in TN a couple of years ago. For breakfast they served sausage made from hogs that the proprietor's 11 year old son had killed. Dad was very proud!!

/ Wife shot another hog
Eventually we plan on making our own sausages. We are in the process of creating a 12x24 room for processing meat and canning what we get from our garden. This hog was around 60 pounds and really the perfect eating size. We deboned it and she has the meat soaking in vinegar brine for the next couple days. After that, Karen will cut it up into roasts for the crock pot, and split the backstraps for grilling.

/ Wife shot another hog #9  
Too Cool!

Eddie - you and Karen seem to have a GREAT LIFE!!! :thumbsup: Will you guys adopt me? :laughing::cool2:

/ Wife shot another hog #10  
How is that rifle working out? When you were looking for one I had suggested that model as I had bought one for my son and really liked it. That 7mm-08 seems to hit harder than my .30-06 on deer judging from entrance and exit wounds, how is it with the hogs? What ammo are you using?