Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #41  
go to a shop you like. In certain states, insurance companies can not force you to go to anyone other than one of your choice. once you have a repair estimate give it to your insurance company. they will probably do their own estimate which will probably be less. don't agree to settle for the estimate by insurance company. take the insurance company estimate back to shop and ask them to review it. in my case my insurance company used labor rates that were three years old and called for some used parts - things only my shop would be able to point out. your shop will be able to push back better than you. and many times the shop will settle (do the work) for what the insurance company will pay after some negotiations good luck...insurance will make you run around

Last edited:
   / Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #42  
I had Progressive and was rear ended a few years back by another Progressive driver. Claims were paid w/o question. Their contact wasn't in a hurry to see me sign off for medical issues either. A good experience for me.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice
Wife just got off the phone with the insurance agent. Sounds like they are going to total it. I do not know details because I am at work and we just texted me about it. She said that they are going to come pick up the car BEFORE they tell us what the payout is, does that sound like standard operating procedure? Seems kind of weird to me. Why would the state of the car matter to payout.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #44  
OkJoWife just got off the phone with the insurance agent. Sounds like they are going to total it. I do not know details because I am at work and we just texted me about it. She said that they are going to come pick up the car BEFORE they tell us what the payout is, does that sound like standard operating procedure? Seems kind of weird to me. Why would the state of the car matter to payout.
Imo I don't know what larger insurance s.o.ps are nor can I thoroughly recall my only total loss 15 or so yrs ago. If they pick it up before a check is cut you can't really argue with them on value dealing with condition of vehicle if it's not in your possession dealing with them knocking off certain things for the value. Not saying that they would pull that but I don't trust "regressive" after two experiences with them.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #45  
And last I checked there damage appraisers were all college educated with no real world experiences in auto body or mechanical repair.

Imo I don't know what larger insurance s.o.ps are nor can I thoroughly recall my only total loss 15 or so yrs ago. If they pick it up before a check is cut you can't really argue with them on value dealing with condition of vehicle if it's not in your possession dealing with them knocking off certain things for the value. Not saying that they would pull that but I don't trust "regressive" after two experiences with them.
Yeah that was my thought. If the car is gone I feel like we are in a disadvantaged bargaining position.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #47  
However I'm assuming they don't want to pay exorbitant storage fees on a totaled vehicle.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #48  
Wife just got off the phone with the insurance agent. Sounds like they are going to total it. I do not know details because I am at work and we just texted me about it. She said that they are going to come pick up the car BEFORE they tell us what the payout is, does that sound like standard operating procedure? Seems kind of weird to me. Why would the state of the car matter to payout.

That does not seem correct to me, but conservable that insurance companies do things differently. I would think you should have a right to keep your car and have it repaired with the settlement check and your own funds. Why would the insurance company want your car? To sell it as totaled and get some money back? Seems it would cost the insurance company additional money to deal with your car...I can't understand why they want it. It's your asset, titled in your name...they can't tell you what to do. I'd push back and tell them - to pay you for the assessed value and you'll get it fixed by adding your own funds. I have a 2001 BMW that was totaled at 5k, but that car is worth more to me and it's cheaper to keep it than get a new car. My insurance company gave me 5K and I added $1,600 additional cost and had it fixed. I believe you could decide what to do.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #49  
Normally when a car is 'totalled' the insurance company cuts you a check for the value (less deductible) and they take possession of the car. They then try to get something out of it for scrap, parts or selling it at auction with a salvage title.

They aren't cheating anyone as they gave the value (less deductible) as stated in their contracts. Once they pay you for it, it is theirs to dispose of. Some will let you keep it or 'buy' it back.

Normally when a car is 'totalled' the insurance company cuts you a check for the value (less deductible) and they take possession of the car. They then try to get something out of it for scrap, parts or selling it at auction with a salvage title.

They aren't cheating anyone as they gave the value (less deductible) as stated in their contracts. Once they pay you for it, it is theirs to dispose of. Some will let you keep it or 'buy' it back.
You didn't read my post very well. The wife says they want to come pickup the car BEFORE they cut us a check.