Snow Attachments Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ?

/ Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
So, I've been using the skid shoes on my newly installed Snow Plow. I've adjusted the shoes to the position that is closest to the ground. This happens to be about 1/4 in on one side and 1/2 on the other. Does'nt clean down to the concrete very well, but sure saves wear on the reversible edge. I'm more accustomed to using a back blade with no skid shoes. Here's a pic

Attachments

• 839163-P3070003.small.jpg
    839163-P3070003.small.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,227
   / Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ?
So, are skid shoes just for gravel drives ? Should I remove them to use on concrete to get better results like I did with my old back blade. Pic #2

Attachments

• 839166-p123.small.jpg
    839166-p123.small.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,606
   / Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #3  
I would adjust them so they are about 1/16" lower than the cutting edge. It will still get almost all of the snow and save the cutting edge from wear in the process. This works well on my RB. Hear is a pic of my results with skid shoes on concrete.

Attachments

• 839195-P1010041 (Small).JPG
    839195-P1010041 (Small).JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,799
   / Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #4  
Jerry on concrete we remove the skid shoes altogether. On gravel we put them back on until we build a frozen base then we take the shoes back off again. If you take them off to soon on a gravel drive you'll be moving more gravel than snow. You'll get the hang of the plow quick.

/ Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #5  
In the 38+ years I've plowed my drive (gravel and concrete) which is now asphalt and some concrete, I've never really used the skid shoes. Plowing when the gravel is frozen is important, and carrying the plow when not frozen is too. I found the shoes didn't keep the blade above the gravel when it wasn't frozen as they just dug in deeper than the blade on the plow. I'd then have two skid marks.
But I will admit to not giving the shoes much of a trial. They came off real quick and I have not plowed much gravel off either. I kept that well packed and hard with no loose stones on top. Mine was good limestone gravel however. It packs real tight if done right. Let the first snows melt in place and freeze, then good to go until spring break-up.
I like my asphalt drive better now, however. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Toolguy, I would like to adjust the shoes to a closer distance, but they have predrilled holes that provide for the increments of adjustment. If I adjust them to the next position, they will be higher than the blade edge.

I think my biggest problem right now is that the blade works very poorly in reverse. I have an area of my drive that I can only clear by driving in forward, lowering the blade, and backing out. I have to drag the snow about 20 feet in reverse so I can turn around, back over it, and then push i the rest of the way. The skid shoes chatter angrily when I drag the blade in reverse. I guess the obvious answer is to give it a try without the shoes.

/ Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #7  
Why couldn't you set the blade to the height you want it to be at and cross drill a thru hole in each one and then pin the skid at that height? The only problem I see is that over time when the shoes wear down, so does your clearance between the concrete/asphalt and the blade.

/ Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #8  
<font color="blue"> Toolguy, I would like to adjust the shoes to a closer distance, but they have predrilled holes that provide for the increments of adjustment. If I adjust them to the next position, they will be higher than the blade edge.
</font>

Jerry we would recommend that you cut the square portion off the shoe and weld a solid rod in it's place. Then get a piece of heavy wall pipe that the new shoe rod will fit into and weld it to the backside of your blade. Fashion 1/2 thick spacers from the same stock and use them to adjust the height of the shoes up or down as needed, kinda like a finish mower uses. A single pin in the top of each easily holds it all together and makes for a quick tool free change. I'm showing a picture of one of the longer shafts that I added to the shoes. keep in mind that this picture shows the plow in the raised position.

Attachments

• 839396-feet.jpg
    839396-feet.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,642
Good idea /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why use Skid Shoes on Snow Plow ? #10  
Most shoes have large washers between the shoe and the blade that can be removed or added to adjust the cutting edge height. Could you set your pin higher and add washers to allow adjustment? I've attached a pic of mine showing washers on top and bottom to set cutting edge height. After looking at your shoe why couldn't you drill your own adjustment holes through the flat side below where it slides in instead of using the bolt in the preset holes. leave your pin on top to prevent it from dropping out when you lift it just add adjustment holes below.

George

Attachments

• 839664-Plow Shoe.JPG
    839664-Plow Shoe.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,663