Why use a weight box?

/ Why use a weight box? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
It would seem you could use that money to buy even something like a box blade, get about the same weight benefit (no?), & even be carrying around something that might accidentally come in handy, versus just dead weight.

What am I missing?

/ Why use a weight box? #2  
It would seem you could use that money to buy even something like a box blade, get about the same weight benefit (no?), & even be carrying around something that might accidentally come in handy, versus just dead weight.

What am I missing?

A ballast box is compact and positions the weight optimally close and low.

A 3pt attachment typically is not compact (often larger then wheel width) and positions the weight further out and high when transported.

/ Why use a weight box? #3  

What am I missing?

The cost to fill a barrel up with cement, and steel to connect to tractor, is low compared to an implement. If you put PVC tubes in there, you could carry your shovel, rakes, , chains, etc.

A 55 gal barrel full, is about 1468 lbs. Half barrel about 734 lbs

/ Why use a weight box?
The cost to fill a barrel up with cement, and steel to connect to tractor, is low compared to an implement. If you put PVC tubes in there, you could carry your shovel, rakes, , chains, etc.

A 55 gal barrel full, is about 450 lbs.

I was referring to the ballast boxes that dealers sell. Yours would make more $ sense.

Of course, you could also add PVC tubes to a box blade.

/ Why use a weight box? #5  
I made my 30 gallon ballast for about $20. Cant get much cheaper than that and its much better in the woods compared to a BH or something else sticking way out. I used to go that route and was always pinned in between trees and always had issues crossing ditches, ect.

Chris

/ Why use a weight box? #6  
I was referring to the ballast boxes that dealers sell. Yours would make more $ sense.

Of course, you could also add PVC tubes to a box blade.

I corrected my answer, that 450 lbs figure was for water only.

/ Why use a weight box? #7  

What am I missing?

A ballast box...

that is more compact and out of the way plus I carry extra pins, wedges, chain, bungee cords, etc. on the ballast box.

Whatever works for you. You can do as you please. We won't look at you strangely.

There are no requirements to do one or the other.

/ Why use a weight box? #9  
I have never even seen a real ballast box. Around here the preferred ballast, if it is not a BB is a barrel full of concrete with a toplink; cost minimal.

The majority of my FEL work is with roads or woods in which case my BB comes in handy, so I use it.

I am out of room to put stuff, so I will probably never make a ballast beyond what I have, but they work well for some.

/ Why use a weight box? #10  
A ballast box is compact and positions the weight optimally close and low.

A 3pt attachment typically is not compact (often larger then wheel width) and positions the weight further out and high when transported.

A ballast box...

that is more compact and out of the way plus I carry extra pins, wedges, chain, bungee cords, etc. on the ballast box.

Whatever works for you. You can do as you please. We won't look at you strangely.

There are no requirements to do one or the other.

Those are my reasons as well. My BB weight 700 or 800 pounds, is small and compact. How large would a box blade be that equals that weight?