"Why things need to be level"

/ "Why things need to be level" #1  

SensibleNick

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT254
An interesting situation with a large tipping trailer and a few degrees of camber on the road. Similar cause/effect of rollovers with heavy/swinging loads high up on FELs.

I'm glad the spectators were uphill.

Driver Tips Over Dump Truck

Last edited:
   / "Why things need to be level" #2  
wow....I can't even see a slope in the road, but obviously there is one....looks like the upper part of the load simply didn't slide down as you would expect it to, leaving much weight up high...that's scary!! and, happens FAST!

/ "Why things need to be level" #3  
The most common dump truck roll over is usually its afew inches out of level, and the load sticks in top or one side in the top. Also some trailers flex I ve seen the hybrid dump trailers with the radius rods that allow the trailer axles to stay on the ground. When the bushings get worn they are prone to roll over. I have a friend that repairs trailers and he has 4 made on hand at anygiven time. Ihave to watch the roll of trucks at work when dumping in the landfill on wet days or whe nthe ground is wet and the loads are sticky/frozen in the front end of the container because theres slack in the bed hinges. Ive seen trhem lean over real good and twist around with the potholes that form on the landing.

/ "Why things need to be level" #5  
I agree, it sure didn't look like there was any slop there. I wonder if it was the load and the way it was sticking more than the angle of the ground underneith? I was also wondering about the sidewalls on that trailer. I've enver seen sidewalls so tall on an end dump tha was used for gravel. That looks like a debris trailer, or maybe an agriculture trailer that can handle allot more material, but not all the weight of gravel. My thought is that it was overloaded and not the right type of trailer for the material, and it fell over because it wasn't designed to have that kind of weight on it when lifting. When it got so high, the trailer just went the direction that the rock was heaviest.

Thanks for posting. It was interesting to see, and fun to see some of the other videos on that site.

Eddie

/ "Why things need to be level" #6  
I agree, the sides of that trailer were quite high, but on the other hand there was actually very little load in the trailer, volume-wise. But that would be typical of trailer dump in this area - the rule of thumb for gravel was if you could see the load when you were standing on the ground, you were over loaded.

When I was hauling, if there was any slope at all we would unlatch the gate so that some material dropped, then back up on to that small pile in such a way that the rear of the truck was level and supported. Never rolled one over, knock wood...

/ "Why things need to be level" #7  
I agree, it sure didn't look like there was any slop there. I wonder if it was the load and the way it was sticking more than the angle of the ground underneith?
Eddie

:thumbsup: From what I could see it was wet sticking material especially in the front and somewhat to one side.

Driver, "so where do you want it?"
customer," well...... I need a little right there and the rest I'd like to make a nice beach with."
Driver, "heck I can do that all in one shot,.,.,.,.,... watch this :laughing: :laughing::drool:"

/ "Why things need to be level" #8  
I used to pull a 30' lead in Michigan which means about 70,000# in the box. We had the following posted at the shop.

/ "Why things need to be level" #9  
This happened with a grain truck at the local co-op about 3 years ago. The grain stuck on the side up high and over she went. Thank God nobody was where it fell.

/ "Why things need to be level" #10  
The material at the top of the trailers just was not moving.

When I get material dumped at our place I always stay 45 degrees away from the the truck. And up hill. :D Our place does not have much of flat. :) Just sorta flat to quite a bit of slope.

I could use that truck and trailer to deliver us some ABC for the road. :D

Later,
Dan