Why some people are too stupid to own a car

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #21  
Extended warranties sold to some folks are ripoffs also countless vehicles towed from dealerships where warranty was sold, towing the vehicle to less expensive repair facilities because a of extended aftermarket warranty claims were denied. I often wonder if these annoying service reminders I get in emails from car fox or whatever are going to eventually hurt the resale if I don't keep up with updating the account with diy service I perform. A dealership I used for warranty work apparently put me in the websites database.
The only 'extended warranty' worth anything is an OEM one. Aftermarket warranty companies make a ton of jack and really provide marginal coverage anyway.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #22  
Most engines today are 'interference' fit, that is, if the timing chain or belt fails, the valves impact the pistons and the motor is junk. Planned obsolence.
Why don't they make non interference engines? Broke or skipped the gears on two old stretched out timing belts both thankfully were non interference. Timing belt replacement on certain cars can be a little extensive, of course you should also replace the water pump at the same time imo.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #23  
The only 'extended warranty' worth anything is an OEM one. Aftermarket warranty companies make a ton of jack and really provide marginal coverage anyway.
Yep totally agree, if you do the numbers most total aftermarket warranty costs would cover the cost of a fairly extensive repair,
probably with cheaper aftermarket parts provided it's even covered and probably can't do diy pm either anymore.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #24  
Think it has to do with the overhead cam / valve arrangement. I much prefer the old push rod motors myself.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #25  
Most engines today are 'interference' fit, that is, if the timing chain or belt fails, the valves impact the pistons and the motor is junk. Planned obsolence.
I agree that most engines today are interference engines, however I don't agree that it's planned obsolesce. It's impossible to design an engine with a higher compression ratio and have noninterference. Just change your timing belt on time.

You could argue for timing chains instead of belts but belts are quieter and lighter.

Edited to add that the timing belt change interval on my wife's 2013 TDI Jetta is 200,000 kms (120,000 miles). The new kits for my older ALH engines are the same. It's not a cheep or a fun job but it's part of owning a car.

Last edited:
   / Why some people are too stupid to own a car #26  
I agree that most engines today are interference engines, however I don't agree that it's planned obsolesce. It's impossible to design an engine with a higher compression ratio and have noninterference. Just change your timing belt on time.

You could argue for timing chains instead of belts but belts are quieter and lighter.
So are tighter tolerances the reasoning behind using water like viscosity oils these days? Steel timing chains eventually stretch also overtime, I hope some manufacturers still put an idler/tensioning pulley on interference engines? Also a freind of mine claims on the newer baby Duramax engines on 1/2 tons the whole engine needs to be pulled to replace timing and oil pump belt, OEM specs I believe put replacement under 100k miles. It would be amazing if engineers and bean counters worked on cars previously lol. I dislike I have to pull my fender liner to replace my fuel filter on my 6.6 Duramax.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #27  
It's quieter until your pistons hit the valves. I kind of see why folks need reminders from online databases to replace maintenance components I do not nor do I like taking the time to try and fill out stuff online of pm I've performed on my vehicles for fear if I don't it may hurt the resale or trade in value if and when the time comes.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #28  
You could go back to non overhead valves and they would be non interference . Are you ok with 150 horsepower engine out of a 350 cubic inch engine? I’m not going to say modern engines have to be interference engines but I bet almost all are.

Last edited:
   / Why some people are too stupid to own a car #30  
I don't think my Mazda has pistons...

1681680528031.png