Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #11  
Much easier to back up the trailer with the axels to the rear is another benefit.
10% tongue weight minimum.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #12  
I thought most all trailers were built with the axles rear of the center of trailer, seems pretty common.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #13  
Much easier to back up the trailer with the axels to the rear is another benefit.
10% tongue weight minimum.
It may help a little bit, but also the further forward the axles are, the closer the trailer will follow in the tow vehicle's tracks. Less cutting the corners.
I thought most all trailers were built with the axles rear of the center of trailer, seems pretty common.
All axles should be slightly behind center. But, one can often compensate by putting the engine forward,

It seems to be the larger equipment trailers that have the axes so far back.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #14  
Never had a tongue weight issue. You absolutly do NOT want negative or too little tongue weight. 10-15% is about right. And just about any trailer made today....even though you think is too much tongue weight....can be loaded just fine if the trailer is sized appropriately as well as the truck.

So perhaps elaborate a little....what trailer, what truck, and what load? Some pictures would do wonders.

You dont have to always pull a load all the way forward.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #15  
My 22 foot load trail .....
41120 hay2.jpg

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #16  
You where getting flash wile pulling the trailer empty ? do you have a leveling kit? and if so did you adjust your lights ?

You want tongue weight, one can adjust your tongue weight by lowering or lifting your hitch, too much tongue weight when empty lift up your hitch higher, if too little lower it... when loaded the trailer should be level to sightly angle up with most of the load in front of the axels.

You can see it perfectly with sea2summint picture with a tractor with a FEL the rear wheel is behind the rear axel and 3/4 of the tractor is in front if the rear axel the trailer is sightly angle up. If the axels would be in the middle most of the weight would be in the back resulting in a negative tongue weight resulting in intensive swaying.

1709408243474.png

Last edited:
   / Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #17  
If you want to know the REAL reason, listen up:

If the axles were more centered, the center of gravity of the rig would be right around the center of the 2 axles. With a load placed on it, this location would pretty much be the same. Given the total mass of trailer + load, the yawing frequency would be (lets say) F_sub_yaw.

With the axles placed farther back, the yaw inertia is a higher value because of the 'axis translation' theorem (I_zz = I_zz + M*r^2). R being the altered distance. This LOWERS the natural yaw (tongue swing frequency) so it will be much more manageable. It it gets higher than about 1 Hz. you're probably not going to be able to save it if it starts oscillating above the critical speed.

Another way of saying it is that the swinging tendency will happen at a much higher speed.

That's my typical expert witness court-room testimony.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #19  
Trailer axels in the center of the trailer are dangerous. Semi trailers have the axels almost all the way at the back. Pickups can’t feasibly do that but at the 2/3s back or so mark is good. 10 percent tongue weight is the absolute bare minimum.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #20  
I'm in the market for a 22' car hauler for my Kubota. What I've been noticing is that most of the trailer length is in front of the axles, putting a lot of weight on the hitch. What am I missing here? My last 22' trailer had the same problem and I recently sold it. I was constantly being flashed at night for high pointing headlights. Any manufacturers that put their axles a little more towards the front?

Although a 5th wheel my older Wilson 20' tilt bed is more forward than some of the BP trailers pictured. Never had the tail wag the dog with it yet, but as others posted- get the tongue weight correct.

ps. really old pic, I use chains to secure the tractor these days and straps for hay

Attachments

• Wilson trailer  tractor  loaded.JPG
    Wilson trailer tractor loaded.JPG
    813.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: