why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower
Our local dealers are good about letting potential buyer do an on farm demo so we tested out on our own implements and our own hills and fields. quickly learned that tractor weight matters. and ease of attaching the implements and visibility also matter to us. HP always seemed to be plenty enough, which kind of surprised me.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #12  
ITs nothing new and they have done it for 70 years.

Its easier and cheaper to de-tune an engine, than design a totally different engine with less displacement and HP.

If traction is what you need for tillage, Higher HP may not help.

IF you are pulling loaded wagons on the road and up/down hills, or running PTO implements....the HP will absolutely help

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #13  
At one time the manufacturers all offered different displacement engines to differentiate the incremental power differences between models. IH had 155 and 179 three; 206, 239,
268 and 239 turbo four; 310, 358, and 402 and 358 turbo six cylinder engines, all on the same platform. This made the salesman’s job easy, as he could readily differentiate products based on the engine displacements, but fro a manufacturing perspective, it was increadibly complex and expensive.

The advent of electronics allowed the manufacturer to reduce physical variation and simply offer different programming to allow different power settings for a given displacement engine. Sales guys didn’t come on board willingly though.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #14  
It is a sales technique that goes both directions. Some people will pay that 10k more to get the biggest and baddest. Others, will feel like they got a bargain and saved 10k by buying a step down.

My tractor has the same engine as the step down, but adds a turbo. The price difference was $1500. I looked at the minimum pto hp specs on some implements I was considering and decided it was worth the extra in my case. I don't like pushing stuff out of spec, even though I know there are margins of error built in for legal protection.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #15  
The Powerstar New Holland line of tractors is a good example of that horsepower stepping.

I have 2... a PS75 and a PS120. They both have the same basic 3.4L engine. Had a 100hp Case with that engine as well. It's a bullet proof engine, no matter what HP it's tuned to.

In my work, I use the PTO quite a bit...at least half the time, running batwing cutters mostly. The PS120 is a very nice step up for me from my 100hp. When I get into thick growth with my rig, that 120 doesn't lug down and cause me to have to clutch to catch up.

On the smaller side of my operation, I use my 75hp a LOT, running a 12' batwing cutter. It gets way better fuel economy, and unless I need the big 120, I use it. It's the only tractor in the Powerstar line that isn't the exact same frame. While it uses the same 3.4L engine, the frame and overall size is very slightly smaller. Makes turning radius tighter. Handy!

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #16  
I usually do the opposite. I buy the largest heaviest tractor with the smallest HP. I never feel like I need more power, mostly more weight. Both my tractors follow this method.
I agree with stumblinhorse.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #17  
I agree with stumblinhorse.
Yeah, weight matters. But horsepower matters just as much with guys who depend on PTO horsepower for what they do.

One can always add weights, or fill the tires for more weight. But it's a bit harder to add more horsepower. ;)

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #18  
Quit obsessing with horsepower, look at the entire tractor, what specs do you need? Compare weight, hydraulic flow, what pto options do they have? The engines are built at the Max, then de-rated for lower numbers.

Those 4 Pot SISU (AGCO) diesels really crank out the hp/torque. Do not discount their ability just because they are 4 cylinders.

That is how I ended up with a Massey 5711D. Loader and unballasted tractor weight first. The tractor PTO spec mattered but, mainly the 111Hp engine was mated to the Dyna-4 Transmission which, while not as important as tractor weight and the loader, was pretty close in importance. The tires and that Dyna transmission gives me about 5MPH more road speed on good roads which is nice but, not required.

Cab interior space doesn't, or didn't, mean much to me until I was in a John Deere 120Hp tractor with another adult and felt like I was sitting in his lap!!!

That 4-cylinder Agco engine seems to be a real sweetheart at the fuel pump as well, especially compared to my previous John Deere experience. Seriously, for such big power it is relatively easy on the fuel for most utility oriented tasking. There is no substitute for fuel burn when you work a 100+ Hp tractor hard so, fuel differences won't be significant if you are constantly pulling hard whether on a bat-wing mower or big disc, etc.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #19  
often if the horse power is higher with the same gearbox casing the input gears are geared faster with the same torque. meaning higher input speed multiplied by same torque equals higher HP throughput. Or 4 cylinder with higher reves.
But the heavier the tractor is, the slower
the gears turn, the slower the engine revs are, the longer it is going to last.
New tractors are jut throw away items. Overheat that high revving 4 cylinder once and it is all over. enormous cost on repairs.
I would rather go for an used heavy 6 cylinder model with good reputation, with low hours if you can find one. and if you do repairs and services your self you are winning.
Also look at the size of the front wheel planetary, tractors back in the 90es and earlier had them 3 times as big. for a reason. engines had a heavy flywheel and therefore didn't need powershift and therefore no oil cooler on the gearbox as there was less heat produced by torque converters and multiple disc clutches, and that definitely saved fuel.
smaller engine consuming less fuel makes sense but they are easier to kill and repair cost will exceed your fuel savings. old 6 cylinder do 12000h.
I would go by weight and size compared to HP, the bigger the better

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #20  
I would buy the maximum horsepower for a given form factor in most cases.
Call me cynical, but to me the greatest reason for so many different models of different sizes and prices is to make sure there is never a non OEM source for most parts, so they can rob you blind when you need them. If there were another 8n, for example where many thousands were sold and most had common parts YoY, it allows competition in the parts market. That's one of the reasons why it's sometimes easier to get parts for a 70 year old tractor than a 12 or 15 year old one.