Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #1  

Missouri Lad

Bronze Member
Tractor
8N Ford, JD345, JD710A, JD2320
My JD 345 battery just went south after 5 years of use. It has the "round posts" for the original cables that was installed by John Deere. All the batteries that are available today have the so-called "flag" posts. I could just go back to the dealer and pay another $120.00 for one with the round posts, or buy new cables with the ends for the flag posts. I don't need replacing the cables as they seem to be in good condition. So, I'm buying two adapters called "Flag to Round post" which can be bolted to the battery with the flap posts and still use the cables with the ends that are for round posts. Costs: about $10.00 for the two. Sears Die Hard battery...Model 50785.. costs $48.14 will fit...Size: 8.1/4" length, 5.1/4" width, 7.1/4" height will work and just about the same size as the John Deere brand.

Has anyone with a better idea?

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #2  
Cut the old post clamps off and crimp on a couple copper eyelets with 1/4" holes. Complete new cables would not be the worst thing you could do.

$120 for an L&G battery is nuts, posts or not.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #3  
... It is to make it more difficult to use a better and cheaper car batt. For OP -- Use a car battery that fits.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #5  
I have simply clamped the round connector onto the 'flag post' and it works OK.
Sure there is less contact but the starters that are generally connected to 'flag posts' do not draw enough current to make a difference, plenty of contact area for amperage needed.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #6  
If you plan to keep that lawn tractor for a while, I would change out the ends on the battery cables. No use in making 2 corrosion points with that adapter instead of just one with eyelet connections. Use good solid copper eyelets when you crimp them on.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #7  
You can mickey-mouse it or you can get some new cables made with the correct terminals for the flag posts.

Custom Battery Cable Assembly Custom Made

Pick your gauge, pick your length, pick your connectors, add the heat shrink to each end. Done.

I just finished another project with their cables. Excellent quality from these folks, and not expensive. I get the clear heat shrink so I can see if any corrosion gets started in there. You can get black or red or other colors, too.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #8  
You can mickey-mouse it or you can get some new cables made with the correct terminals for the flag posts.

Pick your gauge, pick your length, pick your connectors, add the heat shrink to each end. Done.

I just finished another project with their cables. Excellent quality from these folks, and not expensive. I get the clear heat shrink so I can see if any corrosion gets started in there. You can get black or red or other colors, too.

I have had good luck with this company too. I buy my terminals for various tractor and marine projects as well as other top quality parts. Their tinned copper wire is very good and is what I use when custom building my wiring harnesses.

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #9  

Mark,

It maybe true that new, custom cables may be the top notch answer to the OP question, but I'm guessing that determining the length and fitting new cables into that old wire harness will be a real chore.

And as to the solution of just cutting off the old terminals and installing new terminal to match the new battery style, is not as easy as it sounds. In order to make a crimp that will last and handle the current needed for a starter, you will need the proper crimping tool. I haven't priced crimping tools lately, but I would guess that it would cost as much as the new battery he wants to install.

The battery post adapter that some else suggested looks like the simplest and easiest solution to implement.

Richard

/ Why No Round Posts Batteries for Lawn Tractors #10  
My JD 345 battery just went south after 5 years of use. It has the "round posts" for the original cables that was installed by John Deere. All the batteries that are available today have the so-called "flag" posts. I could just go back to the dealer and pay another $120.00 for one with the round posts, or buy new cables with the ends for the flag posts. I don't need replacing the cables as they seem to be in good condition. So, I'm buying two adapters called "Flag to Round post" which can be bolted to the battery with the flap posts and still use the cables with the ends that are for round posts. Costs: about $10.00 for the two. Sears Die Hard battery...Model 50785.. costs $48.14 will fit...Size: 8.1/4" length, 5.1/4" width, 7.1/4" height will work and just about the same size as the John Deere brand.

Has anyone with a better idea?

Nope.. Those adapters are exactly what I use for my old Simplicity. Work just fine.