Snow Attachments Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators?

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #1  

adriand

Tractor
625i
I have a 625i used mainly for snow removal. Currently use an angled plow but more than 4inches is impossible to do. I have a 1000' driveway that is really steep at some parts. Do I really need to buy a 4 wheeler to get a snowblower attachment? Seems silly. What is the cheapest option for me to get a drive behind snow blower that can handle steep icy driveways?

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #2  
Something has to power the blower. This is either hydraulics or PTO in most cases. The ATV powered blowers just have an engine behind the blower that powers it. They are about as expensive as a new ATV.

Do you have chains on the 625i? How does it bog down (tires spinning or engine cuts out, etc).

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #3  
I have a 625i used mainly for snow removal. Currently use an angled plow but more than 4inches is impossible to do. I have a 1000' driveway that is really steep at some parts. Do I really need to buy a 4 wheeler to get a snowblower attachment? Seems silly. What is the cheapest option for me to get a drive behind snow blower that can handle steep icy driveways?

-------------------------------
I had a JD Gator 620i (very similar to your 625i, just an earlier version) and I never had any problem plowing, even up to 18" of wet, heavy snow. The plow on my old Gator was JD's "PowerTach" hydraulic plow. To answer your question, though, I did investigate blowers and the only thing that I found that would have worked was the Berco blowers -- and boy, those are not cheap! Gator plowing.JPG

Is your drive belt OK? How are your tires? I never bothered with chains...when I had my Gator in 4x4 there was plenty of traction, especially if I locked the differential.

Last edited:
   / Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators?
My driveway is 1000' of all down hill. Going down is never an issue because gravity helps. But going back up the tires spin. The grade is 30° in the worst spot. I considered adding chains but don't want to ruin the driveway or garage where I park it. Driveway is asphalt, garage is cement.

Something has to power the blower. This is either hydraulics or PTO in most cases. The ATV powered blowers just have an engine behind the blower that powers it. They are about as expensive as a new ATV.

Do you have chains on the 625i? How does it bog down (tires spinning or engine cuts out, etc).

The tires spin. Engine seems fine. But if it's cold or icy, or there is packed snow it is impossible to get back up. The driveway is all downhill from my garage. So once I plow the bottom I can't get back up easily.

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #6  
My driveway is 1000' of all down hill. Going down is never an issue because gravity helps. But going back up the tires spin. The grade is 30° in the worst spot. I considered adding chains but don't want to ruin the driveway or garage where I park it. Driveway is asphalt, garage is cement.
----------------------------------
I never put chains on my Gator, but I did on my JD X739 and I did not like them. I bought a set of TerraGrips but never got a chance to use them when I dumped the X739 and bought my Kubota 1100C before this winter started.
One thing that really helped my Gator maintain traction was just to put a couple hundred pounds of bagged sand ("Tube Sand") in the bed.IMG_4855.JPG

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #7  
Trip around on here. I’ve seen folks who power a blower with a small engine- it makes for a nice “self contained” blower that can be towed.

Wow that's unbelievable to me. You are even going uphill in the picture. Currently the bed is empty. Maybe I just need to add a bunch of weight. Or get new tires. The tires look fine to me but I don't know anything about the history of them. Maybe they suck. They have big deep treads though.

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #9  
There was one of those self powered blowers at my friends shop for a UTV. I'm sure there are various makes, but that one was apparently expensive and a piece of junk!

/ Why don't they make a snowblower attachment for gators? #10  
I had some sort of halfway decent ATV tires on my Gator, nothing special, but the weight in the bed really helped. I'd suggest putting enough weight in the bed to offset the weight of the plow. You have to figure that if you add 300 pounds to the front end, you're changing the weight distribution of the machine and will end up with a lower percentage of weight in the rear unless you offset it somehow. Good news is that "Tube Sand" is cheap (and comes in handy if you ever get stuck).IMG_3693.JPGIMG_2595.JPG