Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised?

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #1  

jgayman

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2720
For some reason the top link on my 2720 makes contact with the holder bracket enough to bend it (see photo below). As the top link approaches the bracket the "S Hook" pivots out of the way as the body of the top link contacts the "S Hook" bracket. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong as all I do is raise the TPH all the way up. I'm thinking of just removing the bracket as I have a hydraulic top link on order and I certainly don't want it contacting the bracket.

Regardless of whether I have the stock top link lengthened or shortened, why would the geometry allow it to make contact with the frame?

Top Link.jpg

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #2  
Is it possible to flip it over, so the hook is above the bolts ?

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #3  
I had the same problem. I fixed it by gluing a rare earth magnet to the head of the left bolt. Now the magnet holds the up out of the way.

CenterLinkHook.jpg

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised?
I had the same problem. I fixed it by gluing a rare earth magnet to the head of the left bolt. Now the magnet holds the up out of the way.

Thats a great idea! However, my S-hook does not seem to be the problem. It is staying up out of the way. My top link is contacting the black braket itself right where it is formed into a loop to contain the S-hook. I think I'm just going to remove it as the soon-to-be-installed hydraulic top link will not fit in the S-hook and since I'm installing a Quick Hitch I'll have little need to ever put the top link into the stowed position.

I was just curious if anyone else had ran into a similar situation or if it was something I had misadjusted.

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #6  
Check the attachments that you are hooking up to. From the lower hook up to the top hookup should be around 16". Another way is to put the lower links on the tractor level and the upper top link should also be level. If it is to much higher it could hit before the top lift arms bottom out.

Check the attachments that you are hooking up to. From the lower hook up to the top hookup should be around 16". Another way is to put the lower links on the tractor level and the upper top link should also be level. If it is to much higher it could hit before the top lift arms bottom out.

This could be the problem. My Land Pride rear blade is about 15 years old and the distance from the bottom pins to the top link hole is around 19". This never caused a problem with my old 9N and NAA but apparently is an issue on the 2720.

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #9  
Don't know how many pin locations there are on your tractor side toplink bracket, my 3720 has three. Since the 2x70/3x70 series have no draft control, the only purpose for multiple holes on the tractor end is to find the pair that renders the toplink most parallel to the ground once the implement is lowered to its working position. The geometry is such that the highest hole will cause the toplink to angle closer to the operator than will the lower hole. So if yours is striking, move the tractor end to a lower hole.

My 3720 was delivered without a toplink, so the dealer threw in an aftermarket toplink. Unfortunately it was incompatible with the toplink retainer hook. So I simply removed the hook, and replaced it with a heavy duty rubber tarp strap.
USATARPSTRAPS.JPG

//greg//

/ Why does my 2720 top link touch the frame when raised? #10  
To clarify, most implements used for cat 1 are 18" vertical distance measured from center of top link to center of lower links. IMatch and quick couplers are setup for a 15" vertical distance.

I would suggest you adjust the side links to their middle position and then post how far the ends of the lower links are from the ground in both the lowest and highest positions. Also a picture taken a little wider showing the complete hitch might help too.