Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks?

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
We just put the wraps (I hope) on some outside (clog on the way to the seep field) and inside plumbing where we ohm'ed out the heating elements and they passed (4500 watts = 12.8 ohms) after many years but they are the life-time Sand Hog low density. It was the water heater flushing part where things got sideways and out of the traces (term related to working horses to farming implements).

The outside part started on Sat after Thanksgiving became eight different tasks and the inside part became four different tasks before we wrapped it up tonight.

Since I am not getting any younger we are taking steps to make access easier the next time so if I have to hire it done it will not cost so much or it I will be able to do it. Cooling down from a long hot shower and calling it a day.:thumbsup:

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #2  
Same here. Plumbing reminds me of the song:

The toe bone connected to the heel bone,
The heel bone connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone connected to the back bone,
The back bone connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone connected to the head bone,
Oh, hear the word of the Lord!

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #3  
I know what ya mean. Our water heater went out a while back. It is natural gas, the previous home owner didnt plumb in a shut off valve for the gas,or the cold water line. Then to complicate matters, I hooked a water hose up to the cold water faucet [to drain the piping in the house]the whole works is in the basement,well the faucet broke off in my hand, what really was bad was I had to get a 10' stick of 1/2" copper to cut a little piece off to sweat the male pipe fitting back on to put the faucet on with. Any way,plumbing always seems to turn into more than meets the eye! LUTT

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #4  
I consider any plumbing job with three or fewer trips to the store to be a success.

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #7  
I can go to the store and buy everything I need for an electrical job in 1 trip.....plumbing---number of trips needed = feet of plumbing + number of connecting joints.

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks?
Looking out this AM with rain nearby seeing the new 18" diameter riser and lid showing some is exciting because it means no digging to get to the clean out access again. I could have gotten by with a 12" high riser but this 24" one will permit me to do some filling as I make that hill side part of the yard after getting the trees leaning towards the house and deck cut down last Feb. Should also reduce the risk of root damage too but we did use two pounds of copper sulfate crystals around the septic tank before back filling and plumbed out of 3/4" PVC a system where we can pour water down into the region containing copper sulfate in hot water. It may be a waste of time but the son enjoyed helping design and build it.

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #9  
I have worked with all types of plumbing...replacing fixtures, adding new lines for supply and waste disposal, etc. I do keep a good supply of both PVC and copper pipe as well as fittings on hand "just in case" so I don't have to drive twenty miles to a home center store and back if I need something. As to answer the Op's question:

"If anything can leak, it will, and when you fix that one there will always be something else you didn't think needed fixing too"

/ Why does every single plumbing task turn into four tasks? #10  
Last month I got a call from my father in law, "I need help I broke the handle off the sink". Knowing how he is with tools I told him to stop and do not do any more just turn the water off. I got down there and found that he got his "Irish Up" and used a hammer on the faucet when it would not tighten. Thankfully he already went to the store and bought everything he needed.
So it was an easy swap out...for once.