Why do your own maintenance & repair work?

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I was just sort of kicking some ideas around the other day and it occurred to me that although I know why I do it, I don't really know why other people do their own maintenance and repair work.
It could be for completely different reasons & now I'm curious..

So.... so you work on your own machinery? Why? Any exceptions?
rScotty

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #2  
I want it done right and I want it done On my schedule. And It saves me time and money. Idk why anyone with equipment would have someone else do it. There are exceptions on major overhauls.

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #3  
I do it to save money. Never had to pay a mechanic for anything. I somewhat enjoy it. I like to have my daughter next to me and teach her too. :)

Yes exceptions would be a major overhaul, or something complicated in the hydraulic system. Lol.

I had to pay $1700 to have the Dana 70 rebuilt in my Dodge truck because I don稚 know or have the tools to check gear pattern, backlash and set the case clearances. Stuff like that has to go to a specialty shop.

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #4  
Ha it's a no brainer, I want it done right and saving a good bit of money on labor. Plus It helps to understand how the machine works.

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #5  
I do it because I enjoy it. Just that simple. It's one of the reasons I bought factory direct. No dealers. Just me. :thumbsup:

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #6  
I do it because I can and it saves me money and if it goes wrong its on me....

Case in point, took my SCUT of for 50 hour service last Thursday (to keep warranty procures happy just in case) and they had to remove left rear wheel to access HST strainer screen... Got tractor home and was inspecting the work late Friday evening and noticed one lug bolt out about 3-4 threads ... I tighten it up and checked the others with torque wrench... Non to spec.... Not sure service manager was very happy this morning when he opened his e-mail messages...

Dale

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #7  
When I do my own maintenance I save a 200 mile round trip at $4.oo/mile and I get the stuff done when I want it done.

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #8  
Why? Because I can!

If I send it out it’s because it’s a job I cant/dont want to do with the tools I have or its a warranty repair. I dont like having to wait for the work to get done by someone else and I dont like paying shop rates for stuff I can do myself. And its an excuse to buy more shop tools...

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #9  
Combination of the above. Learning, understanding. Mainly time and cost. Not many mechanics of any flavor nearby, so if I can do it, I try to. If I can learn to do, I try to. There are a lot of things I can't do or learn. In those cases, I have to seek other methods.

/ Why do your own maintenance & repair work? #10  
Fortunately, I have a good Mechanic for my vehicles. I have zero faith in most establishments that do repair work of almost any kind. If it was FREE, that would already be bad enough, but to actually charge good money for total incompetence, is something I am not interested in.