why do radishes split?

/ why do radishes split? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I think I know the answer here, but not sure. Last year our tomatoes blew up after a long period of rain.
Splitsville. Never grew radishes before but didn't expect them to split underground.
Is the issue the same? Growing too fast, outside won't stretch as fast as the inside is growing?

interesting that none of the white radishes split, and all of the larger red ones did. But at least half were perfect, and all
will be good in the salad.

Seems an inability for the plant to regulate its growth. Getting drunk on rain and sunshine and suffering the consequences?

Attachments

• P1020053.jpg
    P1020053.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 141
   / why do radishes split?
Too much water is the leading cause of split or cracked radishes, closely followed by over-fertilization. However, such radishes are indeed the nicest for taste and tenderness. It's just that there is a fine line between not enough water and too much. Not enough and they are tough and "sharp". Too much and they are crisp and "sweet". Finding that in-between situation is always a challenge to even the best gardeners.

If it helps for the next crop I have found the white radishes split less than the red ones. I have found white icicle to be particularly good variety. I think excess water is the main cause in my soil but Mother Nature does that sometimes, just decides to soak everything.

thanks Creekbend. We got three inches of rain in two days. That will do it I guess.
I guess there is gluttony in the plant kingdom too. :)

/ why do radishes split? #4  
You're quite welcome. I love that website. You type your inquiry in the Search section, and there is so much info available regarding many areas of growing plants or a garden.