Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor?

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #61  
First of all, I want to say how much I appreciate everyone giving their advice to my many questions as I keep looking for an ideal tractor to buy. If I'm overstaying my welcome in this forum, someone just let me know and I'll shut up 😉.

What is the deal with Tier4 emissions that everyone's trying to buy pre-emissions machines? I asked the Kubota salesman about it and he said the issues were with DEF systems, that the fluid is really prone to spoilage, is expensive, and generally it's a PITA. According to him, the DPF on Kubotas are trouble-free so long as you let it Regen when it asks you to.

I've heard of general horror stories but no specifics.

TIA
I used DEF in my Volkswagen TDI. I had bottles on the shelf for over a year and used them with no problem. Expensive? Not really. Walmart sells 2.5 gallon jugs for less than $15. In my car, 2 liters would last $10k miles. I have no experience with DEF on a tractor.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #62  
A gal pal of mine has had no trouble buying a used of abused 20 year old tractor, putting a new battery and cables on it, straightening the bendd in SHEET METAL, and putting on R4 tires then flipping it for a 100% profit. (double what she paid for all the new stuff (parts are still available). No electronic gauges, no broken or cracked plastic hoods & fenders, and mostly English tools.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #63  
that the fluid is really prone to spoilage,
I wonder where the drummer came up with that. Not true. DEF is nothing more than urea and di-ionized water. Nothing there to spoil. DEF jugs do have an expiration date on them but it's a 'best if used by' date, not a no good after date.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #64  
I used DEF in my Volkswagen TDI. I had bottles on the shelf for over a year and used them with no problem. Expensive? Not really. Walmart sells 2.5 gallon jugs for less than $15. In my car, 2 liters would last $10k miles. I have no experience with DEF on a tractor.
Walmart is cheapest unless you have a truckstop with the DEF pumps nearby. Walmart was $6.98 for the 2.5 gallon jug of DEF, it's now $7.98. Curious thing is I was at Home Depot and they had sign on shelf saying due to nationwide shortage of DEF, limit of 6 jugs...

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #65  
Thanks for all the info everyone. I just went and looked at a really well maintained and lowish hours L4150 not too far away from me, for a pretty fair price I think. Has a 2-way tilt 8' snowplow blade on the front, which I would want to remove and possibly try to sell, but the good thing is that it has a 2-lever valve waiting out of the way on the fender if I ever decided to mount a FEL on it. Currently I don't want a FEL since I have a skidsteer to do material moving.

Everything I've been reading about L4150 applauds it for being a really solid and reliable time-tested model.

I forced myself to not take any cash with me so that I will have to chew on the decision to buy it for a few days before pulling the trigger.

This thing seems to have everything (and actually a little more with the 540/750 pto switch) that the M5660 that I am considering brand new has, except for the hydraulic shuttle shift (wet clutch would be nice but the 4140 had a new clutch installed just 500 hours ago), folding ROPS, and the constant rpm management feature. And of course the DPF, which I'd sort of lean towards if it wasn't linked to a computer. The L4150 started up clean as a whistle though, I couldn't even smell the diesel while running it for 20 minutes.

Any last thoughts before I make the move?
Sooooo, did you buy it? If not, I wouldn't hesitate too much more. Used tractor prices are climbing, and getting tougher to find, and hopefully the one you looked at the owner didn't take a look at the used tractor market and re adjust his price....

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #66  
I'll keep my pre emissions tractors. when they die, I'll have the engines rebuilt. They aren't hard to find. A friend up the road just bought a used 2013 kubota MX5100 with 200 hours for 25K
Because your friend found one does not mean they aren't hard to find! If you actually started looking, you'd be at it for a while to find one.

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #67  
Because your friend found one does not mean they aren't hard to find! If you actually started looking, you'd be at it for a while to find one.
Depends on where you're looking. Sometimes one has to be patient !

/ Why do I want to buy a pre-Tier4 tractor? #68  
I had all kinds of trouble with older gen DPF treatment on T-4 trucks I used to own. Thank the Lord they are gone. Horrible failures and expensive repairs.
My newer DEF Ram seem to be a little better??? (maybe just because its newer lol). but those are trucks, not tractors.
Failure not an option for me on the tractors, so I purposely own 6 pre T-4 tractors. NO regrets.
One other significant, related thing happening in my area-my favorite place to buy DEF fluid is WalMart because its ~1/2 the price of "Blue" DEF. My last 4 trips to buy DEF there resulted in empty shelves.
Now we all know empty shelves are part of the "new norm" with hyperinflation in America, but DEF is a necessity. Now I have to buy the expensive stuff. Wal mart stuff is 7.98. Blue DEF is 13.98.