Why are we still using ethanol?

/ Why are we still using ethanol? #211  
I don't want them spending $20 a gallon for fuel that they can get for $2.89 at the time of the posting in 2018.
Actually, that comparison is WAY off,, moneywise,,
the DIY (or mix it yourself??) is MUCH more than $3 per gallon,,
the last I calculated, it cost me over $7 per gallon, plus travel time, and inconvenience.. and travel costs.

First,, I use E0 gasoline,, that is not readily available, so I have to travel over 22 miles to get the fuel.
Second,, Stihl requires 91 octane,, NOT 87 octane. $3 a gallon is E10 , 87 octane fuel
Third, the cost of the 2 cycle mix oil is not included when the $3 per gallon is stated,, premix has that oil in it.

So, for me, if I get 4 gallons of fuel for 2 cycle use at a time, my cost is right at $10 per gallon, DIY mixing.

I do save $10 per gallon ,, I guess,, but,, I mainly do it because I feel the fuel I mix is fresher.
I do not know how long the pre-mix has been on a shelf.

One other thing,, I imagine the pre-mix has stabilizer in it,, I do not like to use Stabil type additives.

/ Why are we still using ethanol? #212  
Actually, that comparison is WAY off,, moneywise,,
the DIY (or mix it yourself??) is MUCH more than $3 per gallon,,
the last I calculated, it cost me over $7 per gallon, plus travel time, and inconvenience.. and travel costs.

First,, I use E0 gasoline,, that is not readily available, so I have to travel over 22 miles to get the fuel.
Second,, Stihl requires 91 octane,, NOT 87 octane. $3 a gallon is E10 , 87 octane fuel
Third, the cost of the 2 cycle mix oil is not included when the $3 per gallon is stated,, premix has that oil in it.

So, for me, if I get 4 gallons of fuel for 2 cycle use at a time, my cost is right at $10 per gallon, DIY mixing.

I do save $10 per gallon ,, I guess,, but,, I mainly do it because I feel the fuel I mix is fresher.
I do not know how long the pre-mix has been on a shelf.

One other thing,, I imagine the pre-mix has stabilizer in it,, I do not like to use Stabil type additives.
The comparison I was making back in 2018 was why buy premix gas at all? Regular pump gas, ethanol or not, works perfectly well if you follow manufacturers recommendations about fuel usage, storage and rotation.

/ Why are we still using ethanol? #214  
Just to throw a new wrench into an old issue and to show where the ethanol debacle is going, lets discuss one of by-products of ethanol production- CARBON DIOXIDE (the readers gasp). If you live within sight of an ethanol plant, you'll notice large CO2 storage tanks nearby and frequent semi-tankers visiting the property. They are not delivering but removing the CO2 for delivery to those industries which have a use for CO2. With supply now exceeding demand for CO2, what do we do with the excess. Of course, just releasing it back into the atmosphere would be defeating the original excuse for developing ethanol, (ignoring the special people who continue to profit from gov subsidies), so what do we do?

The solution is in the works, thank GOD?? To solve this problem, the proposed remedy is to tie the majority of ethanol plants in IL and IA together with "UNDERGROUND PIPELINES" here-in-after referred to as UG to lessen the shock in certain crowds. These UGs would eventually pipe the unwanted CO2 to deep underground storage caverns in a process similar to FRACKING. This is all part of the GND (grene neu deel) an if you think you can get in on the ground floor, think again, as those gov subsidized bases have already been covered by certain privileged people. So, with the power of eminent domain, the cry of global warming and threat that greenhouse gases have on our everyday lives, expect not a lot of fanfare publicizing the above plan.

OK guys and gals, have at it. Tear it apart, s-can it, debate and argue it or have fun with it, whatever. I probably should have posted it under the "GROAN PART QUATRE" post.
Or we could do away with ethanol.

Last edited:
   / Why are we still using ethanol? #215  
Stihl requires 91 octane,
Are you able to find 91 Octane E0? My snowsled also needs 91, but the E0 is only 90. Over the years I've run regular pump gas through the winter, and use the sled enough so that it doesn't cause problems. Toward the end of the season I ran a few tanks of E0 through them. That worked for 20 years and 4 sleds. For my new one I plan to drain the tank toward the end of the season, then run a tank or two of real gas through it.
Regular pump gas, ethanol or not, works perfectly well if you follow manufacturers recommendations about fuel usage, storage and rotation
During periods when I don't use my saw much it's not uncommon to mix a gallon of fuel, and later burn 3 quarts in my burn barrel after it goes bad. It's much more convenient to got to WalMart and buy a quart can of non ethanol,so that I can actually use it.
It's a real PITA to fill the saw with gas, cut a tree out of the road, drain the tank back out, and put the saw away. It was much easier when I could keep the saw topped off, the saw gas in the shed at the house, and have it run when I needed it.

/ Why are we still using ethanol? #216  
Are you able to find 91 Octane E0? My snowsled also needs 91, but the E0 is only 90.

I just checked,, my station sells 93 octane E0 gas,,

Also, we used to have a station that sold higher octane E0,, but, they are gone,,
That pump was labeled "Race Gas",,

IT was SUNOCO 260,, something,, 104 octane. It cost over $5 a gallon,, probably went bad setting in the tank,,,,,