Why a backhoe is worth the money

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Every now and again there is a post or two here on the forums that ask the question "is a backhoe worth the additional money"... and there are often 2 sides to the discussion (granted not as polarized as the wirenut thread).
Here's my answer in terms of projects of late - YES - every time.
In the last week or so we have:
* Moved two 12-16' maple trees away from the septic area and into another part of the yard (huge holes to put them in since the backhoe made getting almost all the rootball "easy") They look as happy post move as they did pre move (weeks later).
* Dug two asparagus rows into an "unreclaimed" spot in the field... Bluebird Meadow Farms: The passing of Asparagus Exasperation
* Dug and planted 6 blueberry bushes in what's becoming the "Berry Patch" - Bluebird Meadow Farms: Berry Good
* Moved several large rose bushes for my wife and made a new rose bed by using the backhoe to remove only the sod.
* Ripped several decent sized trees out of the field where I'm reclaiming sections of it for large gardens and pasture - Bluebird Meadow Farms: Of Furrowed Land

SO - did it cost me more money up front - yes it did. Has it paid for itself in real terms yet - probably close - given all the OTHER things it has done over the last couple of years not listed here... but in terms of making me more efficient with limited time - and getting things DONE - it's one of those tools for me - like my air compressor and all those air tools... I never knew I "needed" one... and now - can't see how a lot of my work would get done without one.

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #2  
I also think having a backhoe is worth the upfront cost. I haven't even started
my landscaping projects in the yard this year and already used the backhoe
for an unexpected job.

After our basement flooded last spring, I knew that the foundation drain was clogged.
Two weeks ago, not wanting to go through another flood, we put a
snake up the pipe and hit a clog we couldn't get through about 30 feet into
the drain pipe. I used the backhoe to expose 15 feet of crushed cracked pipe
which contained 3 feet of tree roots. Once we cut out the bad section of pipe,
it was a pleasure to see the water rush out of the pipe.

Vic

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #3  
fishpick said:
Every now and again there is a post or two here on the forums that ask the question "is a backhoe worth the additional money"... and there are often 2 sides to the discussion (granted not as polarized as the wirenut thread).
Here's my answer in terms of projects of late - YES - every time.
In the last week or so we have:
* Moved two 12-16' maple trees away from the septic area and into another part of the yard (huge holes to put them in since the backhoe made getting almost all the rootball "easy") They look as happy post move as they did pre move (weeks later).
* Dug two asparagus rows into an "unreclaimed" spot in the field... Bluebird Meadow Farms: The passing of Asparagus Exasperation
* Dug and planted 6 blueberry bushes in what's becoming the "Berry Patch" - Bluebird Meadow Farms: Berry Good
* Moved several large rose bushes for my wife and made a new rose bed by using the backhoe to remove only the sod.
* Ripped several decent sized trees out of the field where I'm reclaiming sections of it for large gardens and pasture - Bluebird Meadow Farms: Of Furrowed Land

SO - did it cost me more money up front - yes it did. Has it paid for itself in real terms yet - probably close - given all the OTHER things it has done over the last couple of years not listed here... but in terms of making me more efficient with limited time - and getting things DONE - it's one of those tools for me - like my air compressor and all those air tools... I never knew I "needed" one... and now - can't see how a lot of my work would get done without one.

I'm glad you enjoy your backhoe. All of the above work seems like very light weight stuff for a backhoe though.

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #4  
You buy a backhoe for big jobs; french drains, septic tank/lines, utility lines, etc.

Then, you find a million "light" job to do with it that you would have never taken on or used your back.

Some can justify it, some can't....

I haven't even dug my first hole with mine, but my neighbor's small Yanmar has proved to me the value.....around his house and mine.....

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #5  
I first had the project requirement - then I got the backhoe. The project cost to hire it out = the cost of the backhoe & diy -- AND I still have the backhoe instead of a receipt for the project. So it paid for itself the first time I used it. Everything since has been much smaller - but I've also realized savings in unknown Dr. bills for saving my bad back. I just finished using it to dig out about 100 sq ft of clay 6" deep .... very small job - but hey - I own a hoe - why would I work up more sweat than I have to?

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #6  
Hands down, the backhoe is the best implement investment I've made. It's amazing the things you would never want to do yourself - but with a backhoe they all of a sudden become fun projects.

If possible, definitely get a 'thumb' for your backhoe - that adds worlds of new possibilities to what you can do with it. A couple of weekends ago, we loaded about five cords of 36" diameter seasoned eucalyptus into the back of my friend's pickup (from a remote site and in several loads). Those rounds couldn't even be budged by hand and the backhoe made quick work of them. We then used the backhoe to place the rounds onto the splitter platform to quarter them. That was a lot of potential back-breaking work and I didn't break a sweat.

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #7  
Fishpick, you didn't mention the most important thing! FUN! I do those little projects and have fun doing them.
I've wondered about charging by the hour to let people run it and just dig holes and move dirt. Much more fun than a video game!
I posted these pics on the Branson forum but they apply here too. Tree removal the easy way.

Attachments

• 000_0524.JPG
    000_0524.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 994
  • 000_0529.JPG
    000_0529.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 837
   / Why a backhoe is worth the money #8  
I absolutely love mine and wouldn't want to be without it. I also think it is more fun than any other implement.

Odd tasks outside the norm I've used mine for is removing old wire fence which is mostly grown in with trees and brush. I've removed about 600' of fence this way. It eliminates all the wire cutting and cutting back brush to get to it. I also use it to haul brush and branches to the burn pile. No loading onto a trailer and unloading off the trailer. Just pile it up, scoop and dump. A lot less effort.

One of my next odd project will be ripping off flagstone siding for my house remodel. Should go a lot faster than a hammer, chisel and pry bar unless I go right through the living room wall. I'm waiting till I know I could pick someones pocket before I take on this task. I can just picture my wifes face when I pull the plasma right through the exterior wall.

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #9  
I actually think backhoes are NOT worth the price. But, darn it, they are very, very handy and like CUTs to a homeowner or a skidsteer loader to a farmer or construction concern, you wonder what you ever did without them!

/ Why a backhoe is worth the money #10  
I wonder how they would be at taking out an old fence line with trees? Mostly dead elm trees but some 10 - 15 dia. live as well. If a guy had a grapple and a hoe you would be mighty hard to stop. :D