Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #892  
I never put my foot down on the street when I ride....

Yeah, that's what the kneepads are for.

When riding in the dirt on a motocross or trials, or whatever kind of dirtbike, if you don't fall down now and then, you are not learning. If you fall down on a street bike, that's not gonna be good.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #893  
I'm just saying the "dirt experience" is not needed for learning to ride on the street!!

"If a motorcycle looses traction, or control, it falls down.: " Not necessarily the case, I remember one time going around a curve hit some shade which caused a hard frost on the pavement, caused my 850 pound full dress Road Glide to lose traction, slid about 8-10 feet semi sideways toward the side of the road at which time moved out of the shade, regained traction and went on my way..

And if you think that that is the case, maybe you need to take a class or two...or more, more is always better!

If they have a large touring bike and cannot pick it up if it falls over they should do one of two things in my estimation... 1, get a bike they can pick up by themselves, or take a class and learn how to do it!! I'm 64, about 5'10" and 190 pounds, and I can for sure pick my 850# bike up by myself.. if I couldn't I'd get a smaller bike!
Then what skills are you bringing to the table? What skills have you learned, that are entirely different than what any one that has ridden a dirt bike, can not also bring to the table? I'd like to see a video of any one picking up a 850 pound bike. Care to share? :)

/ Who rides motorcycles? #894  
It's not a full dress bagger but I have seen similar demonstrations using a bagger,
one thing is it's always a flat floor never an uphill lift.
1 lb girl picks up a Harley - YouTube

/ Who rides motorcycles? #895  
Then what skills are you bringing to the table? What skills have you learned, that are entirely different than what any one that has ridden a dirt bike, can not also bring to the table? I'd like to see a video of any one picking up a 850 pound bike. Care to share? :)

Well I cant compare, I never rode a dirt bike.. And I have learned lots, and taught even more!

The video below is the correct technique for picking it up. Looks like an MSF demonstration...

So if those people you ride with do not have the proper skills to pick up their motorcycle if it should drop, do you have teams of "standers" positioned around so you guys can call them to come stand your bike up?:laughing:

Last edited:
   / Who rides motorcycles? #897  
It's not a full dress bagger but I have seen similar demonstrations using a bagger,
one thing is it's always a flat floor never an uphill lift.
1 lb girl picks up a Harley - YouTube

And if you are going from the right side of the bike as in that video, don't forget to deploy that kickstand first...AND put the bike in gear. I've seen bikes go all the way over to the other side and also seen them roll away in the middle of the attempt to stand them.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #898  
I never put my foot down on the street when I ride....

View attachment 642429
I'm surprised they allow open headlights on a track. Anytime I've ever done track days they had to be taped off to minimize shattering in a crash.

I'm 45 and I've been riding bikes and ATV one way or another since I was about 4 years old. Trails, hillclimbing, motocross, street, or racetrack. It's all good! 20200223_075058.jpeg

/ Who rides motorcycles?
I think we can all agree there is no replacement for real world experience. The MSF courses are just the starting point and I would agree the off road riding is a great way to learn balance and handling without eating pavement.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #900  
I think we can all agree there is no replacement for real world experience. The MSF courses are just the starting point and I would agree the off road riding is a great way to learn balance and handling without eating pavement.

Well... I AM going to have to disagree! While real world experience is a good thing I have taught WAY to many that figured they had been riding all their lives and didn't really need a class that really were poor riders. They had been doing stuff wrong all those years, and doing it over and over and some of it was hard to unteach them. So yes, there are great replacements for real world experience, not all real world experiences are correct!!