Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower?

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I think I might need a new 21" walk behind. Who makes a good one? I have a broken John Deere JS63. I broke it myself, so I can't blame anyone else. Are these just as good as say a Toro or a Honda?

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #2  
Don't know much about the toro mowers . But I've had a Honda for going on 10 years without any complaints .
John

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #3  
I bought a new Toro in 1969 without knowing at the time that you could get them with either a Tecumseh or a Briggs engine. Mine had the Tecumseh, and a dealer and I kept it going for two years, after which the dealer said it was either a new engine or another mower. As a result, I've been prejudiced against Tecumseh engines. Right now I'm using a self-propelled LawnBoy with a Tecumseh engine. It's a mower that was a year old when it came with the house my daughter bought. Now because of my lack of confidence in Tecumseh engines, everytime I'm in a place that sells mowers, I have to stop and look at them, just in case I need to buy one in the near future and think if I had to do it now, it would be a Honda. However, this Tecumseh/Lawnboy just keeps on running strong. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower?
You are lucky Bird. I have owned two Tecumsehs. One is on my JD 65 rider, the other was on a JD TRS32 snowblower. Both had serious carb troubles. I only hold onto the 65 because my dad bought it new when I was 5 in 1977. First tractor I really remember driving. I guess I will get another JS63 since I already have some usable parts... Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #5  
My favorite Deere push mower is the JX 75 with Kawasaki motor and aluminum deck. I have a 1984 Honda I use at home and a 1984 Honda rider I use too both of which preform very well with no problems. I like aluminum deck push mowers and my replacement will be a Honda or this very expensive Deere. We sell the JX 75 for $699 I believe. It is much better built than the Deere you have now. I dislike those. The JX 75 has been around for a long time and is almost identical to my Honda's deck. I have a 1986 go kart which I got when I was one year old with a Tecumseh motor and it has never let me down!

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #6  
I think I might need a new 21" walk behind. Who makes a good one? I have a broken John Deere JS63. I broke it myself, so I can't blame anyone else. Are these just as good as say a Toro or a Honda?

Will you use the critter enough to justify spending a few bucks? If so look for an aluminum deck, easily adjustable bearing wheels, at least 5hp, and a durable drive system. If required for your needs you might check out bagging and mulching options. In walk behinds I feel that the brand is irrelevant as long as it has the above mentioned features. Good luck.

Slam

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #7  
I needed a new walk-behind this year but decided not to put real big bucks into a unit and went with one of the Toro 'Recycler' steel-deck units with the 'Personal Pace' rear-wheel drive system.

I believe these have Tecumseh engines (I did spring for the electric start for the 'boss'). So far we have about 10-15 hours on it mowing about an acre all around the house/outbuildings. It starts (pull or electric) easily and runs as advertised. Spec'd at "6.75 hp" and it does plow through just about anything up to six inch grass - even a little damp - without much or any bogging down. The Personal Pace drive system is very simple minded and we'll see how long the belt lasts - but it does work very seamlessly.

They were throwing in a 3rd year of warranty over the basic two years when we bought it so that didn't hurt.

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #8  
Have you looked at the Exmark's?

They make a Metro 21 with a Kawasaki or Honda engine. Are you set on a 21" mower? If you have quite a bit of lawn to cut, you might want to consider a 32" or 36" Metro model.

You didn't say how much you were looking to spend or how much grass you needed to cut, so I'm just throwing out this as something to consider.

BTW, what state is Cumberland County located?

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower?
I will put about 5+ hours per week on it. I use it to mow my smaller lawns and foor trimming after the GT. I was looking at the aluminum deck model. I guess I was just sticker shocked at the $600+ price tags... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Who Makes a Good Walk Behind Self Propelled Mower? #10  
You might want to look for a powder coated steel deck instead of aluminum. I have blown holes in aluminum decks. I bought a $250 Yardman self propelled about 7 years ago and have had very good service with it. The powder coated deck still has zero rust on or under it and the only maintenance I do is clean the air filter, change the oil once a year and sharpen the blade. It has a 6.5 hp Briggs I/C on it that I have not even replaced the spark plug on, starts every time first or second pull. I mow about 6+ hours a week with it.