Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use?

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I know that's a broad spectrum, so I should get a wide array of opinions. I'm looking to upgrade from the Northern Tool unit which I bought for not much money and would have been a good asset in my "Handy Andy" tool set when I was a kid.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use?
Harbor Fright.

I thought they'd be on the top of somebody's list. I've always thought they sold imported junk and that's probably how they got started; but there are too many people here who like them for that still to be true. I'm also looking for a 3/4 inch drive socket set and HF is the only place that I've checked.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #4  
VIP believe it or not has some pretty good tools with a great return policy..

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #5  
Have a MAC tool and it’s held up real good Blue Point makes some good air tools.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #6  
Have a MAC tool and it’s held up real good Blue Point makes some good air tools.

Inexpensive MAC tool air chisel = $105.

Husky @ HD = $34.98
Many others available .... under $50
HF.....$14.99

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #7  
Inexpensive MAC tool air chisel = $105.

Husky @ HD = $34.98
Many others available .... under $50
HF.....$14.99

No brains involved in that purchase. When it pukes, landfill it and get a new one and still be ahead. FYI, I have the HF edition and it has been a great and long lasting tool. I keep it oiled and work it...hard.

Just bought a 4 1/2" right angle air grinder from HF. Ingersol Rand 4 1/2" air grinder at MSC, 250 bucks. HF (looks just like the IR and is probably the same tool with a different brand on it).... $99 bucks.

Same with torque wrenches, the up quality Icon 1/2" drive clicker wrench is 99 bucks (0-250 foot pounds) torque clockwise and counter clockwise whereas the Snap on or MAC is 400 bucks and they look the same and in fact may be the same. One thing to remember with torque wrenches is the cheap ones only indicate torque value in right hand direction, not left hand direction and left hand torque is important for me for setting bearing preloads. Most of the Snap on or MAC tools today are either made in China or Mexico. Might as well save some bucks and buy HF.

Finally have 2 sets of HF impact sockets and they are unbreakable plus they have a lifetime replacement guarantee. I asked the salesperson bout that and he said, if you break on, you being it back and it gets replaced. Never broke one yet and my IR Thundergun on 175 psi makes around 1900 lb/ft torque and I reef on those sockets installing plow blade edges all the time.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #8  
I love my Thundercat impact off Amazon. Beats the junk I owned before.

I have a junky chisel that actually has done quite well, but when I see what my friends have, I am envious. I guess, it depends wht you will use it for. Really, how often you use it isn't a criteria. You either want to own a tool that does the job when you need it, or not. Crappy quality tools. You think you have a tool when you might need it and when the day comes, it disappoints or breaks outright! Had that happen. Might as well as thrown the money away, no matter how little.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use?
I bought mine from Northern Tool. About all that I can say about it is that I own an air chisel. I can do more, faster with a cold chisel and my two lb hammer... even if it does cost me a little flesh and blood. :eek: Now I need something to needle scale the deck on my mother's mower, and I know that mine isn't up to the task.

/ Who makes a decent air chisel for non-commercial use? #10  
I bought an Ingersol Rand at Northern tool to replace my old Sears Craftsman that finally died after decades. I'm pleased with it.