Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #831  
I called them skidoo even if its a Polaris lol ... we are calling them sled more and more... yeah the loud wining sound late at night is annoying... I used to have a snow rocket but sold it... a year like this year doesn't make me miss it... they are a money pit, I am quite content with my Bravo and the Indy 500 fan cool.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #832  
Part of the problem is manufacturers are promoting snowmobiles to ride off trail, unfortunately imo some folks are buying these things with no practical common sense or limited snowmobiling experience. I feel strongly there should be a distinction between riding through someone's fields near a residential area with perennials or winter wheat planted, and riding down abandoned two tracks and old logging trails 10+ miles from any residence. I believe I said it before where I occasionally ride it's usually cfr land ungated and unposted and no active logging, usually owned by multinational conglomerates taking full advantage of cfr tax subsidies I help pay for. How many folks that ride on trails have been forced off a designated groomed trail on a corner cuz some yahoo was running a snow rocket at breakneck speed sliding sideways around a corner. I have several times unfortunately. Please put away your pitchforks and torches I respect the land and folks that work it.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #833  
Part of the problem is manufacturers are promoting snowmobiles to ride off trail, unfortunately imo some folks are buying these things with no practical common sense or limited snowmobiling experience. I feel strongly there should be a distinction between riding through someone's fields near a residential area with perennials or winter wheat planted, and riding down abandoned two tracks and old logging trails 10+ miles from any residence. I believe I said it before where I occasionally ride it's usually cfr land ungated and unposted and no active logging, usually owned by multinational conglomerates taking full advantage of cfr tax subsidies I help pay for. How many folks that ride on trails have been forced off a designated groomed trail on a corner cuz some yahoo was running a snow rocket at breakneck speed sliding sideways around a corner. I have several times unfortunately. Please put away your pitchforks and torches I respect the land and folks that work it.
Let me push back on one points but I mostly agree with you. There is sled for off trail and sled for trails, that's not the problem.. there is nothing wrong with back country riding as long as you are on public land or have permission to be on private land. Many places has all the land one can ask for back country riding manufactures simply provide sled for that. I agree too many folks ether don't understand the implication of riding on a farmer field or simply don't care. I am sure at one point in time you had no experience ether the thing is you didn't start on a 800cc sled or weren't a pure idiot, the problem is folks who buy a 800 or 850cc sled with no experience no sense of how fast they are going or ride like they are the only one in the trail like you said. BTW I can buy a 600cc trail sled and be faster in the trails then all the 800cc with 144 + tack so its not all about displacement.

Last edited:
   / Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #834  
Let me push back on one points but I mostly agree with you. There is sled for off trail and sled for trails, that's not the problem.. there is nothing wrong with back country riding as long as you are on public land or have permission to be on private land. Many places has all the land one can ask for back country riding manufactures simply provide sled for that. I agree too many folks ether don't understand the implication of riding on a farmer field or simply don't care. I am sure at one point in time you had no experience ether the thing is you didn't start on a 800cc sled or weren't a pure idiot, the problem is folks who buy a 800 or 850cc sled with no experience no sense of how fast they are going or ride like they are the only one in the trail like you said. BTW I can buy a 600cc trail sled and be faster in the trails then all the 800cc with 144 + tack so its not all about displacement.
Definitely agreed, I never owned anything over 600cc. I kind of influenced someone I ride with to get a 600, he previously owned an 800 likes the 600 better lol. Neither do I or understand why folks put obnoxiously loud cans on these things? I think modern 600s are pushing130 hp or so. Heck if I can't ride cuz there's no snow might as well bs about it. Either the state I live in or a previous state I resided in mandated snowmobile safety courses for all new riders born before a certain date. I was grandfathered in but still took one when I was around 12. I also remember when 440 cc was the engine to have. Gawd were those older machines light. I also recall 30 or so yrs ago some including me used to modify tracks and chassis on stock shorties to ride in deeper snow. Anyways no snow this year sucks and I only rode 50 miles this year on what my state considers vintage sleds 26+ yrs old. While 2 newer modern snowmobiles up north never left the track stands.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #835  
Definitely agreed, I never owned anything over 600cc. I kind of influenced someone I ride with to get a 600, he previously owned an 800 likes the 600 better lol. Neither do I or understand why folks put obnoxiously loud cans on these things? I think modern 600s are pushing130 hp or so. Heck if I can't ride cuz there's no snow might as well bs about it. Either the state I live in or a previous state I resided in mandated snowmobile safety courses for all new riders born before a certain date. I was grandfathered in but still took one when I was around 12. I also remember when 440 cc was the engine to have. Gawd were those older machines light. I also recall 30 or so yrs ago some including me used to modify tracks and chassis on stock shorties to ride in deeper snow. Anyways no snow this year sucks and I only rode 50 miles this year on what my state considers vintage sleds 26+ yrs old. While 2 newer modern snowmobiles up north never left the track stands.
yeah the 600 is so much lighter their is not much difference for the HP to weight ration compare to 800 but in the longer track then the 600 get a lot slower it's lacking in HP.

I am guilty for loving a nice sound but I certainly understand how annoying it is for everyone else. I usually don't get anything louder then a trail can which is just to say louder then stock exhaust at idle but has a very nice sound when the valve open up, plus I don't ride at night, sometime I even feel bad with a trail exhaust ... The mountain can are just too loud its crazy and too much. in the trails I would find a exhaust annoying even when riding but while backcountry riding a exhaust add a fun factor.

Last edited:
   / Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #836  
For all the haters sorry but nothing to me is more materialistically gratifying and enjoyable in the winter months than breaking trail in a few feet of fresh powder in the middle of nowhere with snow going over the cowling and windshield until of course you get stuck or break something, occasionally both Lol.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #837  
yeah the 600 is so much lighter their is not much difference for the HP to weight ration compare to 800 but in the longer track then the 600 get a lot slower it's lacking in HP.

I am guilty for loving a nice sound but I certainly understand how annoying it is for everyone else. I usually don't get anything louder then a trail can which is just to say louder then stock exhaust at idle but has a very nice sound when the valve open up, plus I don't ride at night, sometime I even feel bad with a trail exhaust ... The mountain can are just too loud its crazy and too much. in the trails I would find a exhaust annoying even when riding but while backcountry riding a exhaust add a fun factor.
Then definitely don't get a 600 fourstroke on a 154 even if the back rails articulate. That decision Definitely belongs in stupid thread. I'll put it this way it made me spell tundra, ton-dra and buy a foldable compact come along lol worst machine I ever owned and no reservations or regret getting rid of it. my two stroke 600 liberty turning a 2"lug , 144 is amazing. However so is that same gutless 4 stroke I griped about earlier turning a 137 on a gt it's a great, comfortable, economical family trail machine.

Last edited:
   / Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #838  
Then definitely don't get a 600 fourstroke on a 154 even if the back rails articulate. That decision Definitely belongs in stupid thread. I'll put it this way it made me spell tundra, ton-dra and buy a foldable compact come along lol worst machine I ever owned and no reservations or regret getting rid of it. my two stroke 600 liberty turning a 2"lug , 144 is amazing. However so is that same 4 stroke I griped about turning a 137 on a gt it's a great, comfortable, economical family trail machine.
lol ... it all depends what you are doing or what you want to do... I am very happy with my 250 bravo for the proprety and the 500 to go fishing but its no 850 or 1200 turbo... usually everyone is content with their sled until you go with someone else who has the top HP model...not keeping up is not fun... I used to have a 800 with 144 with 2 inch lugs I loved it for all around sled but then if I go with my friends for a back country ride and they all show up with some 146 with 2.5 lugs and 155 then I would get lost in the dust or they would be playing around effortless while I am working my ass off to handle this thing around because I have a trail sled front end so its wider... next time I would go for a trail ride and everyone show up with short tracks ... again lost in the dust... so I sold it during covid fever, got top $$ for it and now I do my own thing.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #839  
Truly enjoy my early 80s bravo it's so light that's what makes it fun imo, nor do I worry much when the kids want to use it on our property downstate. I still scratch my head when I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I bought that ton-dra. Left over model yr discount maybe, IDK. Usually when I ride with friends I hold my own pretty good even if i only have a 600 2" 144. We don't ride to aggressive or carve around trees like I've watched some, heck I have a high windshield on that Polaris.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #840  
Truly enjoy my early 80s bravo it's so light that's what makes it fun imo, nor do I worry much when the kids want to use it on our property downstate. I still scratch my head when I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I bought that ton-dra. Left over model yr discount maybe, IDK. Usually when I ride with friends I hold my own pretty good even if i only have a 600 2" 144. We don't ride to aggressive or carve around trees like I've watched some, heck I have a high windshield on that Polaris.
these 600 polaris 2 stoke are the best all around 2 stoke engine of all time, I am not even a polaris guy and i have no issue saying it…