Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #631  
On our trails today. The lake has tuned on and we might have seen 2 feet in the last 48 hours. No not lots, but i least could start rolling snow in my blade. Gosh its nice to have some real snow depth.
😁
Photos by wife cam.
brtbest70844.jpg
brt6x60857.jpg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #632  
We got rain...

Actually supposed to snow 2-3" tonight, so I am sure everyone will panic :cool:

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.
Friday we had -37F, we lost water for a day but rectified that problem quickly. Even this morning it was -30F, it beat last years cold of -33F. I'm working on getting a pan heater for my HST so the fluids are little warmer each time I use the block heater.
419730635_10159771133115983_8283263069347392989_n.jpg

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #635  
I remember driving home one night and thinking if there is a time for a breakdown, please not now, with it -40f outside. Sure enough, the temp needle started to climb - of all things, it's overheating. 50/50 glycol is good, more or less is not better. Who needs -40f protection. Lesson learned. I stopped at a farm, sure enough they were out back trying to unthaw a tractor to plow snow. Those coveralls I stashed under the back seat that were rarely used went on real quick.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #636  
Keweenaw Roads reported 30" of snow between January 11 and January 14. Check out our local webcams for a glimpse at the fluffy winter wonderland we are currently living in.
Webcams
➡
https://www.visitkeweenaw.com/plan/webcams/
📸
Michigan Tech College Ave Webcam

This is Houghton MI

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #637  
I have always shot for 60/40 which gives about the maximum protection.
60% antifreeze and 40%water, I have heard that 70% antifreeze is better but I don't recall that amount being on the bottle charts.
1705365211600.jpeg

Well I did find a chart for 70% antifreeze;
1705365506480.png

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #638  
I never go over 50/50. I had a radiator freeze up on 60/40 before in montana -60°.

mechanic told me never go over 50/50.

but looking at your chart, now I’m confused.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #639  
I've always been told maximum freeze protection is 2/3rds coolant-1/3rd water.
However,the heat transfer ability of the coolant decreases as the percentage of AF/water increases.
Lots of lake-effect here in the Tip of the Mitt!

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #640  
I never go over 50/50. I had a radiator freeze up on 60/40 before in montana -60°.

mechanic told me never go over 50/50.

but looking at your chart, now I’m confused.
I wonder if changes in anti-freeze formulas are behind the confusing labels these days. As a kid in a garage decades ago, I vividly remember the anti-freeze mix ratio of 50-50 as the optimum protection and read the chart many, many times.

The only thing that could have changed between then and now is product formulation?