Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #301  
My sister said my BIL said the same thing about plowing snow for other people. What is it about it that you feel is stressful? Just curious.

I know a plow truck is much bigger and can do more damage in a hurry and I can't say I've ever used a plow truck to plow people out. I have always used mowers or a tractor, I don't find that stressful, sometimes a little daunting depending on how much snow.
Only stress I experienced was from other drivers, it was one of the best jobs of many, I had when i was plowing.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #302  
I plowed my neighbors driveway for 20 years, it’s a short one maybe 200 feet. I did find it stressful even though I did it for free. I was worried about hitting there garage door, plowing up their gravel and always felt they were watching me even though I don’t think they were.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #303  
May neighbor many years ago drove a garbage truck for a living and during snow season he would drive a big plow.
He did that for years, as his drinking got worse, until he shredded a VW bug with the plow.
After that they would only let him drive garbage trucks , no plows!

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #304  
Supervisors observed new drivers in there non plowing pickups making sure you used the wing plow, pushed back gore points on interstates, and didn't throw copious amounts of snow off the overpasses. Not nearly as stressful as yahoos on the road.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #305  
a well place snow fence can help to minimize snow drift a lot, and putting snow away from the dominant wind as well help to not get buried.
Just as a poorly placed snow fence doesn’t help. We had a neighbor about 15 years ago put the snow fence along the edge of the driveway, after a big storm they had about 5’ of snow in the driveway and paid a guy with a pay loader to come and move the snow and cut the snow fence out, the posts were froze into the ground until spring.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #306  
Just as a poorly placed snow fence doesn’t help. We had a neighbor about 15 years ago put the snow fence along the edge of the driveway, after a big storm they had about 5’ of snow in the driveway and paid a guy with a pay loader to come and move the snow and cut the snow fence out, the posts were froze into the ground until spring.

Now, that's funny right there. But what kind of neighbor doesn't pull in and introduce themselves and say, hay man, you need to move that about 30' off the drive? Or, were you just waiting for the comedy hour? lol .... and in Minn. to boot... ooooooooh that's harsh!

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #307  
Yep...location matters! :rolleyes:

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #308  
Speaking of snow fencing... Our former home had a 300' drive with a big dip right in the middle. Every year that dip would be where all of hte blowing snow from the open areas would come and drop. I would often have over 2 or 3 feet of snow in that dip. I then realized, snow fence is the answer. Yes, that fixed it and the 1 or 2 years I was too lazy or busy to put up the snow fence, I paid dearly.

So when we sold that house, I left the two 50' roles of snow fence in the shed. Thinking, the new buyer is going to need it.

My realtor emailed me and said the new buyer was complaining that I left the snow fence there. I replied and said, well tell the buyer that he is going to need it.

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #309  
The very first time I was in a large truck with snow plow was at a little airport in a small town north of here. I was 18 years old and Harold the driver was about 180 years old. The airport was snowed in with 12" of snow, so no planes were going anywhere. All private planes. So he asked if I wanted to ride along while he did the runways. Sure! Why not.

So we go up and down the first runway a few times, and he picks up his coat that was sitting on the seat between us and there's a couple bottles of home made cherry wine. He hands me one, he takes the other, and off we go some more.

Plowing a mile long straight as an arrow runway over and over while drinking is kinda mesmerizing, to say the least.

Next thing I remember is waking up in the truck, looking around, and realizing we are at the police station. Uh oh! Well, I look better, and while yes, it is the police station, it's also the municipal garage. We're at the gas pumps and Harold is out talking to some cops while filling the tanks on the truck. o_O

Apparently Harold could hold is liquor better than I. He finishes filling up, we drive back to the airport, and he puts me in the Willys Jeepster convertible with no top that had a plow on it and tells me to plow out the T hangers. Okey dokey.

Sitting in that open Jeepster plowing got me sobered up pretty quick. 🙃

The next spring I switched airports to the larger one here in town, and spent 6 winters plowing ramp and hangar areas. I really enjoyed it. Just put on the tunes and move the snow. Pretty relaxing. (no more drinking either).

/ Who is excited for snow season? Not us! We're depressed due to lack of snow. #310  
Plowing driveways aren't all that stressful. Plowing snow on a major 4 lane highway is very stressful, especially during work traffic. When plowing one direction, I've had people come across from the other side, across the median strip, and across in front of me. Not cool when you're driving a cab over truck. A lot of near misses, but thankfully no incidents.

Try driving 15-20 miles one way, with someone right on your tail with their bright lights on. We had tailgate spreaders on our trucks, most times you ran with the bed up about 1/3 of the way, once material was used up from the initial load because you'd have to raise the bed up to get more material back to the tailgate when needed. You ran with the drivers side window down so you could watch the spreader. We drove @ approx. 30 mph. because any faster material will bounce off to the side of the road. I guess it's just people's nature to be impatient. They'd stay behind you for a few miles, then decide to pass. They'd either get beside you, then drift off into the median, or you'd go up the road 2-3 miles and they'd be setting in the median, or off the shoulder usually down over a bank. Occasionally one would do donuts once past you, and be headed right back towards you, stopped of course. Then the whole parade has to stop until they get turned around.

The worst scenario is ice. I'd have rather fought a foot of snow than a 1/2" of ice. My worst experience on ice was in the early 80's. My truck was a Ford C-950 cab over, it was equipped with a seasonable Detroit Locker (posi-traction) rear end, best thing ever on ice on a flat road. I was coming Southbound on U.S. Rt. 33 between Canal Winchester and Lancaster, Ohio. There is a straight flat stretch for 5-6 miles. Even with the posi rear end the truck would try to go to the right due to the crown built into the road. So I'd just bump the steering wheel to the left to correct. I noticed a semi coming up behind me, creeping up slowly and apparently got impatient and decided to pass. When they got in the passing lane, I noticed it was a tanker truck, which meant a gasoline tanker truck. He slowly proceeded to pass and when the front of his truck was right beside me when my truck decided to go to the right. Bumped the steering wheel to the left, and then realized the front wheels were turned fully left. Not good with a gasoline tanker beside you. Apparently, the driver saw what was going on, and slowly drifted off into the median strip. Luckily, he kept is straight, and so did I. One of those things that will make you leave a big hickey on the seat.

So enjoy what your doing but do be aware of what is going on around you, especially when working near the road. Things can happen so fast. Heck, they can't seem to drive on a sunny dry day here and keep it on the road, let alone in snow & ice conditions.