White?

/ White? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I have a local dealer (whom I like) that sells Stihl ( I like Stihl) anyway. They sell White OUtdoor Equipment and service what they sell. THe dealer has been around for a long, long time. I prefer John Deere and Cub Cadet, but was considering a second lawn tractor for my son to use (if he can pry me away). I may or may not use it for mowing. JUst want to pull attachments like a little trailer, aerator, dethatcher, etc. I would also like a snow blade, weights and chains. The prices are reasonable. I already own a couple pieces of MTD machines. I know they are "value" but they work OK. CAse in point is that chipper. I have beat the ever-living snot out of it, pushing it to the edge of it's design, and no complaints. So, my question is what do people think about White lawn tractors? I know it's not a Deere or Kubota, but I think it's better than the other "value" machines like Yard Man, Yard machines, etc. ( I know it's still mTD).

Just want to get a grip on what people think.

Thanks,

Tom

/ White? #2  
:)

I have a local dealer (whom I like) that sells Stihl ( I like Stihl) anyway. They sell White OUtdoor Equipment and service what they sell. THe dealer has been around for a long, long time. I prefer John Deere and Cub Cadet, but was considering a second lawn tractor for my son to use (if he can pry me away). I may or may not use it for mowing. JUst want to pull attachments like a little trailer, aerator, dethatcher, etc. I would also like a snow blade, weights and chains. The prices are reasonable. I already own a couple pieces of MTD machines. I know they are "value" but they work OK. CAse in point is that chipper. I have beat the ever-living snot out of it, pushing it to the edge of it's design, and no complaints. So, my question is what do people think about White lawn tractors? I know it's not a Deere or Kubota, but I think it's better than the other "value" machines like Yard Man, Yard machines, etc. ( I know it's still mTD).

*Just want to get a grip on what people think.

Thanks,

Tom
*An MTD is an MTD is an MTD no matter what color you paint them or what label you stick on them .
The Bolens, Troy built, Yard machines, PowrKraft, White & Cub Cadets are all alike.
They are all low end box store entry level lawn tractors.
You don't get away from that on anything built by MTD until you get into the Cub Cadet GT 2500 and Cub Cadet GT3000 Series garden tractors.
L :) B :)

/ White? #3  
I owned a White lawn tractor that ran fine...it never cut very well however...I believe the mower deck was called a Turbo Cut if I remember correctly...

/ White? #4  
3-4 years back, White mowers were rated a best buy for all around performance (cutting, bagging, mulching, etc.). I almost bought one but ended up with the Scott's/Deere/L110 that won best buy the following year.

For this class of mower, I think they are acceptable and probably offer as good or better performance than similar mowers in the same price range.

you won't get any high end features unless you pay quite a bit more.

amp

/ White?
I don't care about frills, and like I said, I may not even use the deck. I just figured since he was a dealer and would service what he sold, I would be better with a White than a Yard Machines or a Sears.

/ White? #6  
*I just figured since he was a dealer and would service what he sold, I would be better with a White than a Yard Machines or a Sears.
*Probably so but it's still the same tractor as the other colors and labels of tractors built by MTD.
I can go to TSC and get a tractor and on my way home pick up a troy built at Lowes.
When I get them home I will have 2 tractors built alike .
One white one with a White label and
one red one with a Troy built label.

L . B .

/ White?
the Troy-Bilt and the White have an uncanny resemblance to each other. I have snooped around a bit on the web and the Troy-Bilt garden tractor gets horrible reviews. The Sears garden tractor doesnt fare much better. I would like to get a sleeve hitch to play around in the garden. Nothing serious,just something to play with.

/ White? #8  
the Troy-Bilt and the White have an uncanny resemblance to each other. I have snooped around a bit on the web and the Troy-Bilt garden tractor gets horrible reviews. The Sears garden tractor doesnt fare much better. I would like to get a sleeve hitch to play around in the garden. Nothing serious,just something to play with.
Same MTDs

/ White? #9  
Four years ago I bought an MTD, labeled as MTD. It was the cheapest 46" cut automatic I could find, and the automatic is that variable pulley kind, not any kind of hydraulic. I think I paid about $1200 or so. It is of course a POS, but it also keeps running and cutting grass. I've had to replace the front "axle" which I bent when the front wheels locked one too many times while hitting deep ruts at full speed during sharp turns. I also have had the wheels fall off many times, since they are held on by a single cotter pin and a washer. The plastic gear on the starter got flumixed and I replaced that. Several blades and belts, but still the original drive belts. I have a friend with a Troy Bilt, which uses exactly the same parts as my MTD, except maybe for the steering mechanism....I think my machine has a smaller turning radius and also more flimsy front end as a result. Anyway, I figured why pay for a Cadillac made by GM when I could buy a Chevy for less money. Since I finally figured out this thing would just keep on going so long as I didn't pull racing turns and jam the wheels in ruts, it's done just fine for what I use it for.

Chuck

/ White?
thanks Chuck. why would I want to buy my son a really nice first tractor just to have him wreck it? I agree. MAybe just a cheap POS YArd MAchines on clearance from HD is the ticket.