Which tiller is a keeper?

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #1  

mcj115

Tractor
Deere 2305
I need advise..a little. I have two rear tine tillers, one I know what it is and the other is a little of a mystery. Since it is spring time and I don't want to be a hoarder I wnat to get rid of one tiller.

Tiller 1) A Troy bilt Horse. with 8HP Kohler Magnum engine, electric start, new tines, furrow, engine guard, reverse paw in great shape, overall awesome condition. My guess is that it is a late 80's vintage. Literally this is a turn key tiller since it is electric start

Tiller 2) A Craftsman Task Handler CRT (Counter rotating tines) from the early 1980's. with a 8HP...Briggs (I believe engine). This is in good shape and runs well.

My quandary, I want to keep one tiller. Honestly I do not till very much at all (I could go two years without tilling), but I want to keep one just in case; if I didn't already own these I wouldn't make sense for me to buy one .Both are in good (or better) condition and run well. Troy Bilt Horse tillers almost seem like best homeowner tiller (short of a hydraulic Barretto). Parts are available no problem. The Craftsman tiller runs like a beast, it seems to till better than the Troy Bilt. The Craftsman probably has 100 pounds on the TroyBilt. The short conditionis that I don't know who made the Craftsman in the event that I do need parts.

I am going to guess if I sold both tillers I could probably get more for the Troy Bilt due to the name and excellent condition, with the larger motor and options on this tiller it is almost the pinnacle of home owner tiller. On the flip side I don't till that much so why do I need a top shelf tiller(brand name), lol..I say that joking since the craftsman seem to run so well.

So should I keep the Troybilt, sell the Craftsman and have less $$ in my pocket? Or do I sell the TroyBilt get the cash, and keep the lesser names tiller and just be happy?

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #2  
I’ve had my troy for 36 years so you know which direction I would go but since you have two I would sell both and buy a new smaller tiller since you don’t need to use it much that way you would have a new tiller that parts are readily available for years to come. It’s something you’ll have to decide, good luck!

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #3  
It depends on what your typical tasks are that you use your tillers for, if you are using them to break new ground or sod the reverse tine tiller would be your go to since in that situation the Troybuilt will beat the heck out of you and not do a very good job. If you are using it on ground that is an existing garden or beds then the Troybuilt will work fine, the other may as well, I don't have any experience with one. I have had a few wrassiling matches with a Troybuilt Horse in grass sod and it wasn't pretty.

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #4  
It depends on what your typical tasks are that you use your tillers for, if you are using them to break new ground or sod the reverse tine tiller would be your go to since in that situation the Troybuilt will beat the heck out of you and not do a very good job. If you are using it on ground that is an existing garden or beds then the Troybuilt will work fine, the other may as well, I don't have any experience with one. I have had a few wrassiling matches with a Troybuilt Horse in grass sod and it wasn't pretty.

Keep the Troy Bilt!
It is a quality machine, and will always be the more valuable of the two.

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #5  
TROY-BUILT!!! thanks; sonny580

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #6  
I always wondered why anyone would play with one of these things if you had a tractor, is it because you have no tractor, or is it easier in tight spots or small plots ?

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #7  
I always wonder why anyone plays with one of these things. Is it because you have no tractor, or is it easier in tight spots or small plots ?

I wonder too.

Keep the Troy bit Horse.

John Deere 2305

2006 - 2011 2000 Twenty Series
Sub-Compact Utility tractor
Previous model: John Deere 2210
Next model: John Deere 1026R

Production:
Manufacturer: John Deere
Original price (USD)
$11,069 (2011 )

John Deere 2305 Engine:
Yanmar 1.1L 3-cyl diesel
Engine Detail:
Yanmar 3TNV76
diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
68 ci [1.1 L]

Bore/Stroke: 2.99x3.23 inches [76 x 82 mm]
Rated Power (EC 97/98): 24.1 hp [18.0 kW]
Air cleaner: dual dry element
Compression: 23.4:1
Rated RPM: 3000
Operating RPM: 1170-3170
Torque: 41.7 lb-ft [56.5 Nm]
Torque RPM: 3000

Capacity:
Fuel: 5.5 gal [20.8 L]
Hydraulic system: 3.4 gal [12.9 L]
Front axle: 2.6 qts [2.5 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I (limited)
Rear lift (at ends): 1433 lbs [650 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 681 lbs [308 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540
Mid PTO: independent
Mid RPM: 2100

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 57.1 inches [145 cm]
Weight: 1450 to 1865 pounds

John Deere 2305 attachments:
mowing deck
front-end loader

2305 Serial Numbers:

John Deere 2305 Power:
Engine (gross): 24.1 hp [18.0 kW]
PTO (claimed): 18 hp [13.4 kW]

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x4 MFWD 4WD
Final drives: spur gear
Steering: power
Brakes: wet disc
Cab: Two-post fixed ROPS.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 3.4 gal [12.9 L]
Pressure: 1987 psi [137.0 bar]
Valves: 2
Pump flow: 2.9 gpm [11.0 lpm]
Total flow: 5.2 gpm [19.7 lpm]
Steering flow: 2.3 gpm [8.7 lpm]

Last edited:
   / Which tiller is a keeper? #8  
I vote for keeping the Troy Bilt and dumping the Craftsman on CL.

/ Which tiller is a keeper? #9  
I wonder too.

I been buying a few things off people, and quite a few have tried to sell me used manual hand held tillers, all I can think of is some bugger of a thing to hold onto as it tries to up end rocks at my place :)

Seeing these guys had tractors, I was really wondering, unless you had a small established bed, would seem a tractor one would be better, but I do realise they re also pricey.