Which Synthetic Oil

/ Which Synthetic Oil #1  

Buckeyeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T2290
I'm coming up on my 50 hr. service on my B7610, and was debating on which brand of synthetic oil to use. I was looking at Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40, and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. Does anyone have any opinions about one or the other, or are they both about the same as far as quality? I would think the 5W-40 weight would be good for winter weather start-ups. I'm still going to use Kubota oil filters throughout it's scheduled maintenace.

/ Which Synthetic Oil #2  
You will find more opinion than you will have time to read on this site at “Oil, Fuel & Lubricants”… just go to the bottom of this page and select Oil, Fuel & Lubricants on the ‘Forum Jump’ … Happy reading and post back with what you choose to use. KennyV.

/ Which Synthetic Oil
KennyV said:
You will find more opinion than you will have time to read on this site at “Oil, Fuel & Lubricants”… just go to the bottom of this page and select Oil, Fuel & Lubricants on the ‘Forum Jump’ … Happy reading and post back with what you choose to use. KennyV.

Thanks KennyV, I never noticed that section of this forum. The great oil debate continues!

/ Which Synthetic Oil #4  
Undoubtedly you will get many opinions on oil - including mine. I returned to the dealer where I purchased my 7610 and bought Kubota 10W30 & the Kubota branded filters not because one oil or filter or weight is better than the other, but because if I ever had a warranty problem I used what they recommended so they can't beat me up on the maintenance thing.

Yes it was more expensive but I think its worth it until the warranty period expires.

P.S. you should look under to see where the drain plugs are before you start. You will need a 26MMsocket as well.

Good luck!!

/ Which Synthetic Oil
Skidmark25 said:
P.S. you should look under to see where the drain plugs are before you start. You will need a 26MMsocket as well.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the heads up!

/ Which Synthetic Oil #6  
I had the dealer do the 50hr on my 7610, at which time they used SUDT and dino as spec'd in the manual. At 100hrs I changed the engine oil and filter, opting for an oem filter and Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40. Dealer said as long as grade was equalto or better than dino grade spec'd, no warranty issues. I was very surprised at the marked change in the engine sound at PTO speeds. Much smoother and quieter IMO. Better than dino? I think so and, given the ease of availability and cheap source just around the corner, works for me. I check periodically for UOA results for this oil/filter/tractor combo on www.bobistheoilguy.com forums, but no luck yet.

/ Which Synthetic Oil #8  
dholly said:
I had the dealer do the 50hr on my 7610, at which time they used SUDT and dino as spec'd in the manual. At 100hrs I changed the engine oil and filter, opting for an oem filter and Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40. Dealer said as long as grade was equalto or better than dino grade spec'd, no warranty issues. I was very surprised at the marked change in the engine sound at PTO speeds. Much smoother and quieter IMO. Better than dino? I think so and, given the ease of availability and cheap source just around the corner, works for me. I check periodically for UOA results for this oil/filter/tractor combo on www.bobistheoilguy.com forums, but no luck yet.

cost: availabilty and exceeds all OEM requirements are the reasons I will be using the Shell 5W-40 SYN.

/ Which Synthetic Oil #9  
ByronBob said:
I use Mobil 1 synthetic with no issues
You are right, I also use Mobil1 products...
BTW the warranty fear, is completely unfounded. When you are dealing with any quality product or retail dealer, you will find people willing and usually anxious to correct problems… There are other less reputable offerings out there, for them ANY issue will find the weasel response.
If you spend the time to discover the facts regarding synthetics, you will most likely be end up using a quality synthetic…
Alas, I do not understand why there are those that attack synthetic lube with the same vim/vigor you find in a religious or political discussion… ? If you want better than dino/mineral oil, you can use synthetic… if the other is good enough for you then don’t use synthetic. Seems fairly simple to me. KennyV.

/ Which Synthetic Oil
I see on Mobil's website that their NEW Turbo Diesel Truck oil is the same as the Delvac. I wonder if it's priced different? Heres the quote under "Myths" on their site:

"Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same formulation and meet the exact same performance requirements".