Which Style Trailer to Get?

/ Which Style Trailer to Get? #21  
I've been considering buying a used U-Haul box truck to haul my CK20HST with FEL and Backhoe. Any of you ever done this? U-Haul has some pretty good ones right now for $4500. But I'd have to build some ramps as they have one built in, in the middle of the box. John

/ Which Style Trailer to Get? #22  
Be a nice place to store your rig in the bad weather. You can get a trailer for half that and the license and insurance wouldn't be near what the truck would be.

/ Which Style Trailer to Get? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can get a trailer for half that and the license and insurance wouldn't be near what the truck would be. )</font> You make a good point there. The license wouldn't be so bad here in FL, but the insurance would be a good bit. I hadn't even thought about that. I think I'll stick to a trailer. Thanks, John

/ Which Style Trailer to Get? #24  
KiotiJohn,

I haul my 30 HP Ford 1920 on a 10,000lb gross EZDump trailer. Its 6' 8" wide by 12 ft long, low profile with D rings in each corner for tie downs. I like the low center of gravity but 12 ft is pretty short. The FEL bucket hangs over the front and rests on the hydraulic/battery box. Thats OK if you don't turn real sharp. If any rear implement is on the tractor, most of it hangs out the back when the load is balanced properly. Other than tractor transport, that trailer is very handy, especially if you have ever unloaded a full trailer with a shovel or pitch fork.

On trailers in general, a scary thing happened several years ago when I got stuck trying to pull the loaded trailer up my snow covered hill. The driveway is narrow and drops off steeply on one side. Traction was too bad to control backing the whole rig back down so I thought if I unload the tractor, maybe I'd be light enough to drive the truck and empty trailer to the top. Well, I'm on an 11 degree slope and its lightly snowing and that steel deck is wet. As I back the tractor toward the rear of the trailer, the tractor starts to slide. I put on the brakes but the tractor is still sliding toward the rear edge and nowhere near where the ramps are. Things went into slow motion and luckily, it stopped within a few inches of the edge. Otherwise, that tractor and I would have dropped about 18 inches an then rolled over that drop off. The story doesn't end here but the tractor part of it does.

The reason I brought it up is that on my next trailer, I'll try to get a wooden deck. And the other lesson that I should have anticipated is that with a trailer on a hill, you need extra traction to pull that weight up, but you don't have the benefit of that weight for extra traction, like you do when your weight is in the truck bed.

John