Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I'm thinking about upgrading my Rotary Cutter. Currently I have a Frontier 2060 (60') and considering trading that in for a JD MX6 72". From time to time I need to mow thick grass as tall as the front hood of my JD 4720 and the Frontier mower seems to be working real hard. In addition to something a bit wider, I'd like a RC that can handle more work load and at for a longer time. Is the MX6 a much better RC than the 2060? Would this be a good upgrade?

Thanks

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #2  
i would go with the JD MX6 shredder because its designed to cut thick grass an some lite brush.an you can run your rpms up to 2000 or 2500 shredding.

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #3  
I would advise to not go with a JD MX series. I had significant problems with my 4 yr old MX5 last year that took 6 weeks for JD to get parts out of their/partner manufacturing plant in Mexico. On top of that the cost was considerable. My advice would be to get a medium duty rotary cutter where you have good assurance on parts availability and at a good price. Others have, and now my JD dealer, recommends the medium duty Woods Brush Bull. Even at that I would call Woods and confirm where the parts are made and what is the worst case scenario on parts turn around.

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #4  
I have a Deere MX8 that has seen quite a bit of 2" diameter material with no problems behind 63 pto hp.. The deck is extremely heavy and has held up well backing over heavy brush. I now use my skidsteer for that kind of work since it likes to eat trees.

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #5  
With 52 PTO horsepower, you can easily handle more than a 6 footer. My 3720 (35 PTO hp) doesn't even know that my 5 foot medium duty Kodiak is back there. It's clear that for the type bush-hogging I do, the 3720 could actually handle a 6 footer. Have you considered an 8' dual spindle pull-behind (2 rear wheels), rather than a 3 point hitch type? They have four blades rather than two like their lesser cousins.

//greg//

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #6  
I have owned both. There is no comparison. The MX-6 IS that much better :thumbsup:

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier
thanks so far guys...I was in a rush when I did the org. post and wanted to ask about a Woods RC as well. how would that compare to the JD and Frontier. Also, with my 66hp overall and 56ph at the pto, and the iMatch set up my questions are:
1) what size RC can i handle...I have hills and some wet spots in the spring.
2) if i don't buy a JD model, how had is it to convert the Woods say to work with the iMatch?

thanks

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #8  
I have never used a woods, but I always hear good things about them. I would imagine it is as good as the JD as long as you get a model with the equivilent build. With 56 pto hp, I think you can handle a 10ft cutter if it is a pull behind.

If the woods will not work with the imatch, it should be easy to modify as long as you have a welder.

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #9  
I have a 2010 MX 6 that I run behind my Kubota L5040 which has 44 HP at the PTO. I've mowed some very heavy stuff with it the past week and it did great with no issues. The cut is amazing on grass, looks like a finishing mower if your cutting grass that is a foot tall. I have the chains on mine so it tends to leave the grass in clumps as the chains sweep it up and leave it in blobs. I might take the chains off but the cut is amazing for a cutter that is rated for 2 inches. However these mowers have had lots of issues with major repairs on the output shaft breaking on the gearbox. They are currently being made in Mexico with gearboxes from China. I chose the MX 6 for some reasons that others won't need, such as the lighter cat. 3 drive shaft and the finish on grass it leaves. I see Deere has come out and put a 5 year warrenty on the gearbox like the other mower mfgs. Maybe they have resolved the issues that have dogged the MX series of mowers for many years. Get a Woods, Rhino,Bushhog, or Landpride and I think you'll be well served. If I had a "do over" I would get a Rhino 272.

/ Which Rotary Cutter JD vs Frontier #10  
thanks so far guys...I was in a rush when I did the org. post and wanted to ask about a Woods RC as well. how would that compare to the JD and Frontier. Also, with my 66hp overall and 56ph at the pto, and the iMatch set up my questions are:
1) what size RC can i handle...I have hills and some wet spots in the spring.
2) if i don't buy a JD model, how had is it to convert the Woods say to work with the iMatch?

thanks

I have the same specs on my JD tractor but I do not use the iMatch. Within the Woods line the equivalent medium duty rotary cutter is the BB720X ..... Woods Equipment Company - BrushBull? Extreme Medium-Duty Rotary Cutters . Since many JD dealers carry the Woods line I would talk to one about the iMatch compatibility with Woods. Woods says they are quick hitch compatible but I would talk to a JD dealer about specifics as they have something called "Auto Hitch" for PTO driven implements.