Seeders which and what grain drill

/ which and what grain drill #1  

donais

Gold Member
Tractor
mf 1547
i have an opportunity to possibly get one of these drills which would be better and easier to get parts for and can anyone id them. i like projects and know they are going to need lots of work but what the hay i can get one of them for some welding on some of his equipment...hope the pics work oh the 1st and last one are the same drill

Attachments

• IMG00003.jpg
    IMG00003.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG00004.jpg
    IMG00004.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG00035.jpg
    IMG00035.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 290
   / which and what grain drill #2  
If one is a Van Brunt, go with it.

/ which and what grain drill
how would i tell if it is?

/ which and what grain drill #4  
The middle one is a grass or fine seed drill Allis Chalmers or Avco and the other one may be an IH or New Holland;

The probles are whether you can find seed cups/beater brushes, paddles, and how rusty the grain and fertilizer tanks are, the condition of the ground drive gearing etc. if you found a bone yard or even the I.D. plates if still legible that would be the best place to start. and it would be a non starter if I could not even find a bone yard with grain drills The middle one might be a better bet.

thanks for the advice not a chance on the bone yard. San Diego area is going so non ag its ridiculous. we will see which on he'll let me get.

/ which and what grain drill #6  
The drill in the middle picture is a John Deere. I know. I have one.

This one appears to have a fertilizer (?) attachment piggy-backed to the seed bin........that's the odd looking rear box attached to the back of the main bin. Never seen that before as that was generally a separate implement towed behind the drill, but.

Of your options, buy this one. Why? I'm not a JD fan at all, BUT, JD built some of the best working grain drills known to man and this is one of them. Extraordinarily simple and robust yet effective. Parts are available as well. As bad as it looks, it is not very far from operational condition assuming all of the internals are there and rust has not locked them up. Before buying crack open the seed bin door and check to see if the agitator and gears are there. If they are, good. A little grease, used motor oil, and some activity will have them working a wonder. The bent, mangled portion attached to a board that you see is the landing that was for manually loading the bin. Fix it.......remove it........re-man it. Little difference to operation depending upon how you want use it.

Besides in the pics of the other one it is missing some parts.....chains to be exact.....that you'll probably have to fabricate yourself. And I can't ID it. Don't know what it is.

Buy the one in the middle pic. You have my TBN ID for help. PM me. Of the bunch, it's the best you can get. Guaranteed.....

/ which and what grain drill #7  
i have an opportunity to possibly get one of these drills which would be better and easier to get parts for and can anyone id them. i like projects and know they are going to need lots of work but what the hay i can get one of them for some welding on some of his equipment...hope the pics work oh the 1st and last one are the same drill

For old drills like these, the best way to get parts is to buy several drills and use parts to build one working unit. That's what I did with a pair of Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drills (10 ft wide, 20 drops, 6" spacing, single disc openers).

DSCF0281 (Small).JPGDSCF0283 (Small).JPGDSCF0286 (Small).JPG

I took a month of work to clean up the rusted parts, coat with cold galvanize and rust converter and reassemble. I added a hydraulic cylinder to the working unit to raise and lower the openers during turns.

Here's the result--planting Kanota oats last Nov

DSCF0162 (Small).JPGDSCF0168 (Small).JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0081 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0081 (Small).JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF0156 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0156 (Small).JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF0157 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0157 (Small).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF0158 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0158 (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF0159 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0159 (Small).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 163
thanks joe and flusher. the "not" middle one is i think a mccormick cant find a model # yet spent 2 hours on google images last night.. *** for the middle one research is now starting it has that box on the back and one on the front also. is that for grass seed? any guesses on a model or year? thanks guys

/ which and what grain drill #9  
thanks joe and flusher. the "not" middle one is i think a mccormick cant find a model # yet spent 2 hours on google images last night.. *** for the middle one research is now starting it has that box on the back and one on the front also. is that for grass seed? any guesses on a model or year? thanks guys

I'd concentrate more on what you can salvage from each of these drills to assemble one good drill since you'll have a really hard time finding spare parts at a dealer.

Grain drills are fun. Have a ball.

/ which and what grain drill #10  
I have a 10 ft John Deere Van Brunt for $795. It would need to be picked up here in central Ky. Ken Sweet