Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay?

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay? #1  

Sid Post

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 5711D, Kubota L4600, Kubota B2601
I need a smaller tractor meaning not super heavy that will turn tight for general light duty usage and, if things go well basic transport at tractor shows between where I'm staying and the show itself as I am starting to volunteer some and might need something to pull a small trailer as well. My Kubota B2601 would be pretty nice but, I need something with a little more mass and oomph to pull an occasional 4 wheel wagon and larger diameter tires to smooth out the ride matters as well.

I'm a bit partial to John Deere 2-cylinder tractors, having grown up around a Model 70 and 730, both LP "Wheatland" specials.

I see a lot of Farmall Cubs and similar Alice Chalmer tractors going back and forth from the travel trailers and motorhomes but, those plus gold carts don't impress me much. ATV's and Side-by-Sides are more money than I want to spend and are out of 'character' too!

I'm open to other suggestions as well and would love to have a Case 930 or JD4020 but, those are both way too big for everything but pulling a 4-wheel wagon with ~60 people on it from the parking lots up the hill to the show grounds plus, that's not the type of volunteer duty I'm looking for. A small trailer for disabled transport maybe but, I'm thinking more firewood and coal for steam tractors and maybe wagons with wheat for the belt driven threshers and similar things.

I want to stay reasonable in terms of weight and bulk for a 1/2 ton or light 3/4 ton pickup with an empty pickup bed for camping gear and general stuff like that.

Other thoughts are welcome too in the general "Farmall Cub" range of options! A 3-pt would be nice and a PTO is totally optional. Rubber is mandatory so, while I like the older Case and McCormick Deering tractors on Steel, that just ain't a remotely reasonable option for this tractor.

TIA,
Sid

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay? #2  
Sid
Let us know how this goes, and when you get a little more settled on what you really want. Look forward to it.

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay? #3  
I'd say go for it. Old JD 2 cylinder parts are available for about the same price as always - but there are so many in good shape you might as well just pay more & get one that doesn't need anything.

We have an old JD 530 two cylinder gasoline. 33 hp. about 6500 lbs. Power steering and nice seat. Lots and lots of cast parts and the paint is still decent. Wide front, everything works just exactly like it did in 1958 - well, except that the brakes are getting grabby. We use it for just about anything that needs a good & heavy 3pt. It also has a fully independent PTO. The whole tractor seems timeless & bulletproof. Starts instantly.

Just to give you an idea on price, I figure its value is about twelve grand with the fully hydraulic QA FEL loader & box blade. Without the loader and implement maybe two thirds that. But it's a keeper.
rScotty

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay?
While I really like those 30-series JD tractors, they seem a bit too heavy for my usage. Those C/GP seem to be a good lighter weight tractor if I can find one in reasonable condition for reasonable money.

I really like the general looks of the McCormick Deering tractors but, those are few and far between and priced accordingly.

As noted above, the lighter weight 30-series JD tractors really command a premium these days.

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay? #5  
Would an “A” or “B” John Deere be to big Vs GP? MT was another model but if memory is accurate those were 4 cylinder. Reason for asking I believe there are a lot more As & Bs than GPs built.

/ Where would find a good GP and what would you expect to pay?
A's and B's are bit bigger and heavier. In that size and weight class, I'd be more tempted by a 630/730. The 430/530 models are are pretty expensive due to lower weight and their smaller size. The C/GP also has a look similar to an unstyled D which I like. The one gotcha for me with the C/GP is its very low top speed which is not a huge factor traveling less than 1 mile between where I'm staying and where I volunteer but, something a bit faster would be nice. It does have a good speed for parades and around crowds during the "tractor parades".