Where to set grade of ground to new pole barn

/ Where to set grade of ground to new pole barn #1  

duster

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200 LOADER,60
I just had a pole barn built and I am in the process of grading the area around it, and would like to know where I should set the grade relative to the bottom kick board.The building is built plenty high , I am just wondering about the kick board being buried in dirt, it is pressure treated wood, but I would hate to contribute to accelerating the rotting of the wood.

/ Where to set grade of ground to new pole barn #2  
I don't think you want the grade all the way up to floor level. If the board you are talking about is the form boards, I would take them off. The concrete doesn't need them and they will just hold mosture, bug, & give termites a way to git to your walls. (If you have termites) In the area where you drive in the boards could stay buy I would bring the grade up to the top of the board. If not the tires will pull the board away from the concrete.

/ Where to set grade of ground to new pole barn #3  
I wouldn't worry too much about the PT board being buried in the dirt. Your poles for the barn are buried in the same dirt.

As for how much to have exposed, or not covered by dirt, I'd think as much as possible for the simple reason that the lower the dirt is from your siding, and un-treated boards, the further bugs have to travel to get to it.

Most important is have a nice grade of the dirt to keep water flowing away from your building. If it's flat or worse, sloping down towards the building, you need to build it up high enough to control the water, otherwise, lower it as much as you can.